Setting wholesale pricing & discounts
You can use the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin to set 3 types of wholesale pricing and discounts:
- A global percentage discount which is deducted from the standard price of all products.
- A category percentage discount which is deducted from the standard price of all products in a specific category (and its sub-categories).
- Product-specific wholesale pricing.
If you have multiple wholesale user roles then you can set different wholesale pricing and discounts for each role.
Global wholesale discount
To set the global percentage discount for each wholesale role:
- Go to WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Wholesale → Roles.
- Hover over the role that you wish to set a wholesale discount for, and click 'Edit'.
- In the 'Discount' field, enter a percentage number between 0-100. You can either add a whole number (e.g. 50) or up to 2 decimal places (e.g. 50.25). Do not enter the % symbol.
- Click 'Save changes'.
- Repeat steps 2-4 to add a percentage discount for each wholesale user role.
Category wholesale discount
To set a category-level percentage discount for each wholesale role:
- Go to Products → Categories.
- When you Add or Edit a category, you will see a 'Wholesale % discount' section. Enter a percentage number between 0-100 for each wholesale role. You can either add a whole number (e.g. 50) or up to 2 decimal places (e.g. 50.25). Do not enter the % symbol.
- Save your changes.
Product-specific wholesale pricing
To set an exact wholesale price for an individual product, you first need to enable product-specific pricing for each wholesale role. You can do this by editing the wholesale role and enabling the 'Product specific pricing' option.
Once product specific pricing is enabled, then you can set a wholesale price for each product:
- Go to the 'Edit Product' page.
- Find the 'Product Data' section.
- Now add the exact wholesale price that you wish to charge for each wholesale user role:
- Simple products - Enter wholesale prices in the 'General' tab of the 'Product Data' section.
- Variable products - Enter wholesale prices in the 'Variations' tab of the 'Product Data' section (open up each variation to edit it).
What about 'On Sale' products?
The 'Sale Price' field for a WooCommerce products is only intended for public/retail customers, and is not applicable to wholesale users. This allows you to run sales in your public store without affecting your wholesale prices.
For example, let's say that a product costs $100, has a sale price of $75, and a wholesale discount of 50%. Wholesale users will be charged $50 because the discount is calculated on the main price and ignores the sale price.
What happens if multiple discounts apply to the same product?
WooCommerce Wholesale Pro contains advanced logic to ensure that wholesale users always see the correct pricing. It looks for a product-specific wholesale price first, and then a category-level discount, and then a global discount for that role. Therefore:
- Product-specific prices override the global and category discounts.
- The category percentage discount overrides the global percentage discount.
- The global discount is only used for products where no product-specific or category-level discount is set.
My customers are seeing the wrong prices!
If this happens then it is probably a caching issue. Please follow the advice in our article about this problem.
Product visibility options
If you want to show different products to wholesale and non-wholesale customers, then the next step is to set your category visibility.Wholesale visibility options