Adding discounts and meal deals to the restaurant ordering system
This article explains how to offer discounts and meal deals with the WooCommerce Restaurant Ordering plugin.
Meal deals with quantity rules
WooCommerce Restaurant Ordering is designed to work with our Quantity Manager plugin. Together, you can use the plugins to create meal deals which force the customer to buy a certain number of products from each category.
Use WooCommerce Restaurant Ordering to create a food order form, and use WooCommerce Quantity Manager to add quantity rules. For example, you might set it up like this:
- Create a 'Starters' category with a maximum quantity of 3. This forces customers to add between 0 and 3 starters to their meal deal.
- Also create a 'Pizzas' category with a minimum and a maximum quantity of 3. This forces customers to add exactly 3 pizzas to their meal deal.
- Finally, create a Desserts category with a maximum quantity of 3. Again, this allows customers to add up to 3 desserts.
Sale prices on individual products
WooCommerce itself allows you to add a sale price for each food product. This appears on the 'Add/Edit Product' screen alongside the main product page.
When you add a sale price, this is displayed in your food order form.
Quantity/value based discounts
You can use WooCommerce Restaurant Ordering with the Dynamic Pricing plugin to add advanced pricing rules which will automatically give a discount based on how much the customer is ordering. For example:
- Buy one pizza and get $5 off your next pizza.
- 20% off if you spend over $50.
We recommend listing the available offers and discounts either at the top of your restaurant ordering page (above the food order forms), or in a sidebar widget. The customers can then add foods to their order as usual, and the discounts will be displayed on the cart and checkout pages. Please note that it's not possible to display the discounted prices directly in the food order form or lightbox popup.
Can I show meal deals and discounts on the food order form?
As described above, sale prices for individual products will appear on the food order form and in the lightbox; but quantity-based discounts are calculated when you add products to the cart, and therefore only appear on the cart and checkout pages.
To encourage people to use your meal deal offers, we recommend adding prominent information about the available discounts to the food ordering page, and/or the lightbox. There are several places that you can add this information:
- Add eye-catching widgets highlighting your deals to the sidebar on the main Restaurant Order page.
- Add an information box about the deal to the product description, which will appear in the lightbox for each food product (if you are using lightboxes).
- Include a 'Cart' widget in the sidebar of the Restaurant Order page which will show the discounts applied to the products already in the cart.