How to update and replace documents
When you update a document in your organization, there are several ways to update it in your document library
Delete the file and upload a new one
You can simply delete the original document and replace it with a new one:
- Go to the 'Documents' section of the WordPress admin and click on the document that you wish to replace.
- In the 'Document Link' section on the right hand side, click the X next to the current file.
- Click 'Replace File' and upload the new version of the document.
- Click to 'Update' the document post.
- (Optional) Finally, you may wish to go to the 'Media' section of the WordPress admin and delete the original document from the WordPress Media Library. This prevents anyone from accessing it, for example if they have previously saved a link to it.
Replace the existing file
Alternatively, you can use the free Enable Media Replace WordPress plugin to replace the original file in the Media Library with a new one. Once you have installed this plugin, find the file in the 'Media' section of the WordPress admin and use the 'Replace' button to overwrite it with the new version.
When you use this method, you do not need to edit the document post because it will automatically be attached to the new file.