Installation & basic setup
The Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT plugin helps EDD stores to meet European VAT law. This article provides step-by-step instructions on how to set up the plugin, or you can watch the following video:
Install the plugin
Once you have purchased Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT, you should receive a confirmation email which contains your license key and a download link to the plugin. If you don’t receive this email, please submit a support request.
Once you have downloaded the plugin, go to your WordPress admin, then go to Plugins → Add New → Upload Plugin. Click Choose File and select the edd-eu-vat.zip file you just downloaded. Once uploaded, click Activate.
Note: Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT requires the free Easy Digital Downloads plugin to work. If you can't see the plugin settings page, make sure you have Easy Digital Downloads installed.
Tip: Once you’ve installed Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT, remember to keep it up to date. You can learn how to do this in our article on plugin updates.
Enter your license key
You can find your license key in the email confirmation that was sent to you after purchase. The plugin will not work until you activate your license key.
There are two ways to enter your license key:
- In the setup wizard - Once activated, the setup wizard will open. This walks you through each step of the setup process, including entering your license key.
- On the settings page - Alternatively, you can go to Downloads → Settings → Extensions → EU VAT and enter your license key.
If you get an error saving your license key, please try a second time. If the error persists, please view the article on license key problems.
What happens straight out of the box?
As soon as you activate your license key, the following features will be added to your Easy Digital Downloads store - no further configuration needed:
- When the customer selects an EU country at the checkout, the correct VAT for their country will be charged.
- A VAT number field appears on the EDD checkout whenever a customer selects an EU country from the 'Country' field. The customer's VAT number will be checked against the European Commission's VIES central database of EU VAT numbers. If the VAT number is valid then this will reverse charge the VAT for customers not in your base country, so no tax will be charged. (Tip: If the VAT number field doesn't appear when you select an EU country, make sure you have enabled taxes in your store.)
- The legally required EU VAT information will appear on the EDD order confirmation and payment details pages. Customers can use either of these to get a tax invoice.
- A 'VAT Details' section will appear on the EDD payment record, in addition to the location evidence already stored by EDD and your payment gateway. This makes it easy to check how the VAT for each sale was calculated and export data if you are ever audited.
- A new report will appear under Downloads → Reports → Export, allowing you to download the data for your quarterly EU VAT tax returns.
Configuring the plugin
The plugin comes with options that allow you to control how it handles EU VAT. You can control these on the settings page.
It also comes with merge tags which allow you to convert your Easy Digital Downloads emails into full tax invoices using our template.Settings Page Documentation