Adding extra recipients to the WooCommerce order notification admin emails
The WooCommerce Multiple Email Recipients plugin makes it easy to add extra email recipients for the customer-facing and admin-facing emails.
Once you have enabled the additional customer email addresses in the plugin settings, customers can add extra recipients on the checkout or account pages.
The following instructions explain how to add extra email recipients for the email notifications that WooCommerce normally sends to the administrator. These are the 'New Order', 'Cancelled Order' and 'Failed Order' emails.
You can either add additional email addresses which will receive email notifications about all orders, or you can configure this per product or category.
- Go to WooCommerce → Settings → Emails.
- Click 'Manage' for either the 'New Order', 'Cancelled Order' or 'Failed Order' email notification (or any additional emails which are added by third party plugins).
- Click the 'Add recipients' link underneath the 'Recipient(s)' field.
- 3 new fields will appear:
- Email address(es) - List the email addresses that you want to add to the email, separated by commas if you are adding more than one. For example, you might add "firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com".
- Search for a category - Select one or more categories if you only want the additional recipients to receive emails relating to orders containing products from a certain category.
- Search for a product - Select one or more products if you only want the additional recipients to receive emails relating to orders containing specific products.
- Click 'Add recipients' again to add recipients who will receive notifications for different products or categories.
Can I select multiple products and categories?
The plugin has advanced logic built-in so that recipients will never miss an email. For example:
- If you add additional email recipients but don’t select any products or categories, then these email addresses will receive the email for ALL orders.
- If you have selected categories then the email will be sent to the additional recipients for all orders containing products from the selected categories.
- If you have selected products then the email will be sent to the additional recipients for all orders containing one or more of these products.
- If you have selected both products and categories then the email will be sent for all possible matches. For example, if you have selected the 'Clothing' category and a 'Pizza' product then the email should be sent for orders containing clothing products OR the pizza product OR both.
What if an order contains multiple products or categories?
The WooCommerce order notification emails list all the products in the order. The WooCommerce Multiple Email Recipients plugin simply lets you add extra recipients for these emails, based on the products or categories contained in the order.
For example, let's say that you have added two additional email recipients:
- firstname.lastname@example.org will receive emails relating to orders from the 'Nike' category.
- email@example.com will receive emails relating to orders from the 'Adidas' category.
If a customer orders products from both the Nike and Adidas categories then the full order notification emails will be sent to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Each recipient will know which of the products listed in the email they are responsible for, and can ignore the others.