Applications for this position have now closed.
We are seeking a talented WordPress and WooCommerce plugin developer with some experience of creating free or commercial themes or plugins.
You will be responsible for working on plugins of low to medium complexity. This includes developing new plugins and working on existing ones. You may also have the opportunity to work on Barn2's flagship plugins as part of a team.
If you are passionate about plugin development and want to contribute to the continued success of Barn2, apply for this exciting opportunity.
Things you’ll be doing
- Acting as the lead developer for specific named plugins of low to medium complexity.
- Developing new market-ready plugins.
- Adding new features to existing plugins.
- Troubleshooting and fixing issues with existing plugins, and liaising with the support team.
- Working with the Senior Developers on specific features in more complex plugins.
- Plugin testing and running automated tests using Ghost Inspector.
- Contributing to improving the plugin development processes - e.g. testing, code standards, plugin builds, automation, and implementing new tools that the Senior Developers have identified.
You will need
- Experience developing and supporting free or commercial WordPress themes or plugins (either alone or as part of a team).
- 2+ years professional software development experience.
- A strong PHP development background.
- Knowledge of the principles of OOP.
- Modern PHP development skills, knowledge of WordPress coding standards, PSR recommendations, etc.
- Experience developing with APIs and the WordPress REST API.
- Knowledge of code versioning tools including Git and SVN.
- In-depth knowledge of WordPress and WooCommerce including internal code and database structure.
Nice to have
- Experience with automated testing tools, e.g. Ghost Inspector, Selenium.
- Experience of formal unit testing and tools such as PHPUnit.
- An IT-related degree or other formal training in software development.
How your role could develop
As a small company, there is flexibility for you to grow the role in line with your interests and experience. This might include working towards higher levels of seniority, such as becoming a Senior Developer.
You’ll report to
Your direct line manager will be Katie, our CEO. You will work closely with our Senior Developers, Head of Plugin Development and Technical Director, as well as working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels. We will work with you to make sure you have everything you need to be successful in this role.
- Full time position, approximately 40 hours per week (negotiable - we could consider part-time hours for the right person).
- Fully remote working.
- Working with a minimum 3 hours overlap with Central European Time (CET).
- Occasional online calls, and no face-to-face work unless you choose to attend WordCamps.
Salary and benefits
We are offering a generous salary and flexible benefits package:
- Salary of $40,000 - $55,000 USD, based on your experience and location.
- Remote working with a flexible work schedule that values work-life balance.
- Yearly training budget of $1,000 and access to off-site training/conferences.
- 25 days holiday, or your country’s legal minimum if this is higher.
- Performance-related bonus.
- A friendly, supportive and open-minded team culture, where we encourage sharing opinions and feedback.
- Plenty of scope for personal and professional development. The more you contribute to our ongoing success, the more we will reward you for it!
The application process will be as follows:
- Initial application form
- We will request access to your code for evaluation purposes (e.g. a theme/plugin that you have developed)
- Online interview
- Challenge: Prove your skills by developing a small plugin