Applications for this position have now closed.
We are seeking a highly skilled WordPress and WooCommerce plugin developer with a proven track record in creating free or commercial themes or plugins.
As a key member of our team, you will be responsible for developing new plugins, adding new features, troubleshooting and fixing issues with existing plugins, handling plugin updates, and optimizing our plugin development process. To succeed in this role, you must possess advanced skills in building high-quality, professional-grade plugins that can be used on multiple websites.
If you are passionate about plugin development and want to contribute to the continued success of Barn2, apply for this exciting opportunity.
Things you’ll be doing
- Acting as the lead developer for specific named plugins.
- Developing new market-ready plugins.
- Adding new features to existing plugins.
- Troubleshooting and fixing issues with existing plugins, and liaising with the support team.
- Plugin testing and running automated tests using Ghost Inspector.
- Improving the plugin development processes - e.g. testing, code standards, plugin builds, automation.
- Identifying and applying new tools and technologies to improve the plugin development process.
You will need
- Experience developing commercial WordPress themes or plugins from scratch and seeing them through to release.
- 5+ years professional software development experience.
- A strong PHP and OOP development background.
- Modern PHP development skills, knowledge of WordPress coding standards, PSR recommendations, etc.
- Experience developing with APIs and the WordPress REST API.
- Some experience of React and Gutenberg development.
- Knowledge of code versioning tools including Git and SVN.
- Good understanding of common software design patterns.
- In-depth knowledge of WordPress and WooCommerce including internal code and database structure.
Nice to have
- Experience with automated testing tools, e.g. Ghost Inspector, Selenium.
- Experience of formal unit testing and tools such as PHPUnit.
- An IT-related degree or other formal training in software development.
How your role could develop
Your role has potential to become more involved in the strategic development of the company, such as:
- Researching and identifying gaps in the market for new plugins or features, and performing competitor analysis.
- Involvement in strategy and requirements-setting to scope and plan new plugins.
- Developing new flagship plugins.
You’ll report to
Your direct line manager will be Katie, our CEO. You will work closely with our Head of Plugin Development and Technical Director, as well as working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels. We will work with you to make sure you have everything you need to be successful in this role.
- Full time position, approximately 40 hours per week (negotiable - we could consider part-time hours for the right person).
- Fully remote working.
- Working with a minimum 3 hours overlap with Central European Time (CET).
- Occasional online calls, and no face-to-face work unless you choose to attend WordCamps.
Salary and benefits
We are offering a generous salary and flexible benefits package:
- Salary of $75,000 - $85,000 USD, based on your experience and location.
- Remote working with a flexible work schedule that values work-life balance.
- Yearly training budget of $1,000 and access to off-site training/conferences.
- 25 days holiday, or your country’s legal minimum if this is higher.
- Performance-related bonus.
- A friendly, supportive and open-minded team culture, where we encourage sharing opinions and feedback.
- Plenty of scope for personal and professional development. The more you contribute to our ongoing success, the more we will reward you for it!
The application process will be as follows:
- Initial application form
- We will request access to your code for evaluation purposes (e.g. a theme/plugin that you have developed)
- Online interview
- Challenge: Prove your skills by developing a small plugin