Closing date: 22nd December 2022
Does it cause you physical pain when different elements of a web page aren’t lined up correctly? Do you believe that good typography can make or break a design?
Barn2 is seeking a talented designer with a keen eye for detail to join our team. As our main designer, you will ensure that everything we do portrays a consistent brand identity and is supported by excellent design. You will also have the opportunity to design aspects of our WordPress plugins which are used by over 50,000 customers worldwide.
We are a leading provider of WordPress plugins, founded in 2010. We are a profitable, rapidly growing company with a distributed team of 16 people working remotely across multiple continents and time zones.
In this role, you will work alongside the Directors, marketing, and software development team to take our company image to the next level. Using the existing Barn2 branding, you will design a range of materials including web page elements and templates, product mockups, email newsletters, social media ads, and graphics for blog posts, YouTube videos, and social media posts.
We offer flexible hours (full or part-time) and a salary range of $40,000 - $50,000 USD, depending on your skills and experience. If you are motivated to produce high-quality designs at a high volume with minimal supervision, we would love to hear from you.
Things you’ll be doing
- Featured images for blog posts and YouTube videos.
- In-content images for blog posts, tutorials and documentation.
- Web page templates for the Barn2 website.
- New page elements for the Barn2 website.
- Product mockup images for our plugin sales pages.
- Email template design.
- Images for social media posts and ads.
- Banner images for various purposes.
- Sourcing and designing icon sets.
- Designing certain UI aspects of Barn2’s plugins.
- Visual design for plugin settings and options in the WordPress admin.
- Promotional elements in the WordPress admin.
You will need
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles, including Adobe Photoshop (essential), plus others such as Adobe XD or Figma.
- Significant experience with image editing, including sizing and optimizing images for fast load times.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Experience designing a wide range of graphics similar to those required for this role.
- Experience of web site design and best practices, including UX design and accessibility.
- Basic knowledge of the WordPress CMS - for example, creating a WordPress site, adding blog posts, managing content, or installing plugins.
- Willingness to work with the existing Barn2 brand, moving it forward and making improvements without reinventing the wheel.
- Commitment to creating pixel perfect designs, right down to the minor details.
- Ability to create images which represent complex software in a simple and accessible way.
- An understanding of how technical constraints can affect design decisions, and a willingness to adopt your approach accordingly.
- Willingness to work with design agencies on bigger projects, for example on larger rebrand projects.
Nice to have
- Ability to create video mockups of our software products.
- Experience of using Google Optimize to perform A/B testing.
Note: This is a design-only role and coding experience/HTML/CSS are not required.
You’ll report to
Your direct line manager will be Katie, our CEO. You will also work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels, especially within the marketing team. We will work with you to make sure you have everything you need to be successful in this role.
Salary and benefits
We are offering a generous salary and flexible benefits package:
- Full or part-time hours (negotiable).
- Salary of $40,000 - $50,000 USD, based on your experience and location. We will provide a guaranteed pathway for increasing your pay to the top of this range as you progress in the role, with clear and achievable milestones.
- Remote working with a flexible work schedule that values work-life balance.
- Yearly training budget of $1,000 and access to off-site training/conferences.
- 25 days holiday, or your country’s legal minimum if this is higher.
- Performance-related bonus.
- A friendly, supportive and open-minded team culture, where we encourage sharing opinions and feedback.
- Plenty of scope for personal and professional development. As our only in-house designer, there are opportunities to grow and shape the role around your skills and interests.
Applications for this position are now closed.