Do you sell products that are priced based on size, weight, dimension, area, or volume? Check out our list of top WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugins, and how to set them up. Customers can easily calculate and receive instant pricing for made-to-measure or cut-to-size products, and more.
Pricing is an essential feature of any online store. On its own, WooCommerce does a great job of handling payments for regular fixed price products. However, what if you sell customizable products and need to offer dynamic measurement-based pricing? In this case, WooCommerce's default pricing options won't suffice.
That's where you need one of the best WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugins. They automate the process of calculating product prices based on measurement units. That way, you can charge for WooCommerce products by length, width, area, volume, weight, and other dynamic factors.
In this article, we'll explain what a WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin is and share its benefits. We'll then run through a list of the 10 best options for WooCommerce. And you'll also see how to use our #1 pick, WooCommerce Product Options to add a custom price formula to your products.
Let's get to it!
What is a WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin?
A WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin is a tool that allows shoppers to specify the unit measurement of a product when placing an order. It works like this:
- A user inputs the required measurements into number fields into a calculator form on the product page.
- The plugin then uses a formula to automatically calculate the product price based on these dimensions or measurements. (You can create your own custom price formulas with the best price calculator plugins for WooCommerce.)
- The calculated total price appears on the product page. This shows users exactly what they will pay.
- Customers are charged the total price when they add the item to their cart, and when they check out.
- As store owner, you will receive the measurement information in the order notification email. You'll have everything you need to go ahead and create the product, whether it's made-to-measure, cut-to-size, or something else.
Measurement price calculator plugins are very useful for stores that sell custom-made products with dimension, weight or volume-based pricing. For example, you'll probably need one if you own a fabric, floor tile, or coffee store. It makes sense to sell these products in yards, inches, square feet, and pounds. Or if you use metric product measurements then you can sell in meters, centimetres, kilograms, litres, and so on!
Your users would prefer to input custom product measurements and see the total price automatically. This makes for a great shopping experience. A measurement price calculator plugin allows you to achieve this in WooCommerce seamlessly.
Benefits of using a measurement price calculator plugin
Here are some of the major ways your store can benefit from using a WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin:
- Your customers get instant and accurate price quotes for customizable products. Buyers can customize their orders based on size, dimensions, and other units of measurement. Examples of such products include fabric, carpeting, wallpaper, or custom-sized windows and doors.
- Easily manage and update product prices based on changes in the cost of materials or other factors.
- Integrate the plugin with other WooCommerce plugins to further customize product pricing and give customers more flexibility.
- Save time by eliminating the need for customers to contact sales or visit your physical store to make custom orders manually.
- Overall, it boosts your store's shopping experience, encourages more sales, and keeps your customers coming back.
It's true dynamic pricing in action! The user inputs the product measurements, and the price increments based on a formula.
Sell by size, weight, area or volume
The great thing about the best measurement price calculator plugins for WooCommerce is their flexibility.
Charge by product size
Add dimension fields to the calculator and include these in your price formula. That way, you can charge by any combination of length, width, height, depth, and so on.
You can collect the size data in any unit of measurement. This might be meters, cm, inches, yards, or whatever you use for your products.
Product weight-based pricing
Alternatively, you can price products by weight in WooCommerce. This time, create a calculator form with a product weight field. Users can input the required weight in kilograms/kg, pounds and ounces, and so on.
Price products by area
You can also combine two number fields in order to price products by area. This might be by the cubic yard, square footage/sq ft, square meter, square cm, or other unit of area.
For example, you might create a WooCommerce measurement price calculator with fields for length and width. These multiply together, and then multiple by the price per meter/yard to calculate the price.
Finally, you can add three fields to the calculator form in order to price by volume. For example, this could be width, length, and depth to calculate the number of cubed meters.
Whatever type of measurement-based pricing you need, you can set it up with the right WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin. It's a flexible way to create dynamic pricing based on user-defined measurement data.
Which stores need a price calculator plugin?
As you can see, a WooCommerce price calculator is essential for virtually all stores that sell products priced based on quantity-based and user-defined values. Some common use cases include:
- Made-to-measure clothing and apparel retailers.
- Furniture and interior decor stores.
- Products sold by area, such as a box of tiles.
- Home improvement and construction companies.
- Woodwork and metalwork artisans.
- Shipping and logistics companies that offer size-based shipping.
With that out of the way, let's examine our top recommendation for a WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin.
Best measurement price calculator plugin - WooCommerce Product Options
WooCommerce Product Options provides everything you need to create a price calculator, and more. That's because it's a fully featured product add-ons plugin, and comes with a wide range of field types in addition to a measurement price calculator. That way, you get a lot more for your money compared to buying a single-feature calculator plugin.
The measurement price calculator in this plugin is simple to use, and sophisticated at the same time:
- Unlimited measurement fields - Add as many user input fields as you like for collecting product measurements
- Custom price formula - Create a custom price formula to calculator the price.
- Advanced logic and operators - You can keep the price formula as simple or as complex as you like. This WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin supports all the standard mathematical operators such as adding, subtracting, multiplication and division. Use these with the measurement fields to create more advanced calculations. You can even use brackets to add stages to the calculation and ensure a correct result.
- Display product prices by size/weight/etc. - Normally, WooCommerce just displays a basic price at the top of the product page, for example "$50". That's no use for selling products by size, weight or dimensions! WooCommerce Product Options improves on this by letting you add a pricing label after the product price, such as "$50 per meter". Much better!
- Include or exclude the main product page in the formula - Different stores price their custom products in different ways. That's why WooCommerce Product Options lets you choose whether to add the base product price to the results of the calculation. For example, if you're displaying the main price as "$25 per litre" then obviously you don't want to add $50 to the calculated total price! Fortunately, WooCommerce Product Options makes it easy to stop this from happening.
Add other types of option to your products
As I mentioned above, Product Options is amazing value for money because it's not just a WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin.
Most stores that use measurement-based pricing offer other customizations too. For example, the best curtain stores let the user input dimensions and click on images to choose other features, such as the color and the type of curtain heading. That's why it's best to buy a proper product options plugin with this extra flexibility.
How to add a measurement price calculator to a WooCommerce product
As you can see, the Product Options plugin is an excellent option for adding measurement price calculators along with any other type of product add-on. Next, I'll show you how to set it up.
You can create your own WooCommerce measurement price calculator in a few minutes. WooCommerce Product Options is very beginner-friendly, while also containing the actions and filters which developers need. All you need is to follow these steps.
We'll focus on the fields you need to create price calculators, but the process is identical for other field types such as checkboxes.
Step 1: Install and activate WooCommerce Product Options
The first thing you need to do is get the plugin here. You can download the plugin from the order confirmation page, or the email that you'll receive.
It's quick and easy to set up the plugin:
- In the WordPress admin, go to Plugins → Add New.
- Select the plugin's ZIP file which you just downloaded, and install and activate it.
- The plugin setup wizard will open automatically. Use this to activate your license key.
Now the plugin is installed, and it's time to create a WooCommerce product with a measurement price calculator.
Step 2: Create a product
- Go to Products → Add New and create a product that needs measurement-based pricing.
- Set it up as either a single or variable product.
- Add a price for the product/variation. This is an essential part of WooCommerce, and in Step 3 I'll show you how to control how this is displayed. For example, if the product is priced at $50 per foot meter then enter the price as "50".
- Also add any other product information such as the description and image, then publish the product.
The next step is to add extra user-defined fields to the product. These will work together to create a measurement price calculator.
Step 3: Add the WooCommerce measurement price calculator fields
- Go to Products → Product Options.
- Click the 'Add New' button to create a new group of product options.
- Name the group and select which product(s) you want to display the measurement price calculator fields on.
- Click 'Add Option' and choose the 'Number' field type. Add a field name (e.g. "Width in cm") but don't add a price.
- Repeat step 4 for all the dimensions for users to input. For example, if the measurement price formula will be based on width, length and height then add these as 3 number fields.
- Next, add a 'Price formula' field. Set it up as follows:
- Formula - Enter the formula that will be used to calculate the price. Click the buttons underneath the user-defined field to add different elements to the formula. This is fairly straightforward but you need to understand the maths! The price formula can be as simple as multiplying the product dimensions by the price per unit. Equally, it can be more complicated and you can add extra elements such as adding a base price which is added regardless of the measurements input. We've provided more advice about this in the plugin documentation.
- Price display suffix - Add any text that you want to display after the main product price on the product page. For example, if you entered the main price as $50 because the product costs $50 per square meter, then you would add "per square meter" here.
- Ignore main product price - Tick this box if you do NOT want to add the main product price to the results of the formula. For example, if the main price indicates the price per meter then you wouldn't want to add it to the final price. Instead, the measurement price calculator will work out the total price for you!
Step 4: Test the product price calculator
Finally, view the product page and test out the measurement price calculator.
When you visit the product page, you'll see the measurement price calculator form along with any other product options you created. Enter various dimensions into the calculator to make sure the formula is working in the way you intended. After all, it's easy to make minor mistakes, such as forgetting to use brackets!
Other WooCommerce price calculator plugins
We've just examined the best WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin. And you've also seen how to create user-defined price calculator fields with it. Now, let's look at other useful plugins you can consider as alternatives.
2. Measurement Price Calculator
Looking for the second best WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin for your store? We also recommend Measurement Price Calculator. The tool offers all the customization options your buyers need to order custom product measurements.
The main drawback is that the ratings aren't quite so high, and it doesn't come with other option types. For example, it wouldn't meet the needs of our curtain example above because you can add the measurement price calculator fields, but not other fields to choose the curtain heading style, pole, etc.
Measurement Price Calculator is a single feature WooCommerce add-on plugin that helps you to create sets of measurement price calculator fields.
A shopper first enters specific values into these WooCommerce measurement price calculator fields. The plugin will determine the product price based on a formula you've set in the back end. It then automatically updates the main product price.
Measurement Price Calculator packs lots of product pricing features. But here are a few that stand out:
- Add price calculator fields above the 'Add to cart' button Create WooCommerce measurement price calculator fields. Then add them as extra product options to the product page. These user-defined fields appear above the Add to cart button. This integrates them seamlessly into the order process. You can choose to either make the fields required or not. You also get to add a description telling buyers what to do and change the pricing labels next to the fields.
- Set advanced product pricing formulas with two calculator modes Add simple or advanced formulas that determine the final product price based on user-defined measurement values. The calculation can either be quantity-based or user-defined. The user-defined calculator mode is ideal for products that are sold in custom sizes.
- Update the product price everywhere Once the buyer enters their preferred product measurements, the total price changes everywhere. These changes are visible not only on the product page. The customer will also see price updates in their cart, confirmation emails, and during checkout.
- Introduce pricing tables Use a pricing table to offer pricing rules consisting of a measurement range in which specific prices apply to specific unit measurement ranges.
If you're not sure about how well these features work in reality, Measurement Price Calculator offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Bear in mind though that some popular WooCommerce plugins are completely incompatible with the plugin. A good example is Product Bundles.
Now, let's show you how to create your first WooCommerce measurement price calculator field with the plugin.
How to set up the WooCommerce Measurement Price Calculator plugin
Since Measurement Price Calculator is our second favorite plugin in this category, I'll show you how to set it up too.
Step 1: Install and activate Measurement Price Calculator
The first thing you need to do is buy the plugin here. Afterward, you'll receive an email with a downloadable ZIP file and a license key.
Next, set up the plugin in these 3 simple steps;
- Log into your WordPress site's backend. Go to Plugins → Add New → Upload Plugin.
- Select the plugin's ZIP file from your device storage. Then click Install Now followed by Activate Plugin.
Step 2: Configure the calculator settings
Once the plugin is up and ready for use, go to WooCommerce → Settings → Products → General. The first thing we'll do here is set the default measurement units for the price calculator.
Now, head over to the product settings page of the product where you want to add the calculator fields. The plugin adds a new Measurement section to the Product Data meta box.
Next, fill in the following fields appropriately:
- MeasurementHere's where you specify the type of variable that's being measured. For example, area, weight, length, and volume. Depending on the type of measurement you've selected, additional fields will appear below.
- Show Product Price per UnitChoose whether or not to show the buyer product pricing per unit of measurement on the front end.
- Pricing labelThis is the label displayed for the product price per unit. If left blank, the default unit of measurement will be displayed as the pricing table.
- Pricing unitThe unit displayed with price.
- Calculated PriceChecking this box enables the user-defined mode. This means the product price will be calculated per unit of measurement. Unchecking the box tells the plugin to calculate pricing per quantity.
Measurement Price Calculator supports lots of units of measurement.
Step 3: Add a per-unit or quantity-based price
Finally, it's time to set the price per measurement unit or product quantity. To do this, head over to the General tab and fill in the Regular Price field. Enter a price of your choice.
That's it! Your customers will now see a price per unit on the store's front end.
Now you've learned how to use our top two WooCommerce price calculator plugins, I'll tell you about some others that are worth considering.
3. Measurement Price Calculator for WooCommerce
Flexible Quantity for WooCommerce is a plugin that delivers the basic WooCommerce measurement price calculator feature efficiently. You generally get to sell products based on their weight, dimension, area, or volume.
Like our #1 pick, the plugin helps you set the product price per measurement unit and the increment value of the unit. And then you can assign a minimum and maximum product quantity. But that's just about all you get.
However, if you need even more functionality, you can upgrade to the pro version to get features like:
- Pricing labels to indicate the unit of measurement
- User-defined measurement units
- Product pricing based on the dimension and dynamic unit measurement calculations
- Pricing table for measurement ranges
- Shipping class based on the product quantity
The plugin is available in English and Polish. You can see it live in action on the demo site.
4. WooCommerce Price Calculator
The next plugin on our list is a premium WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin perfect for variable-sized products. WooCommerce Price Calculator takes variable unit inputs from the customer and displays the product price instantly.
You get different types of measurement units like meter, foot, yard, mile, and derived units too. An interesting feature is the ability to use your stock management values as a factor in price calculation. This means taking advantage of pricing tables (for displaying measurement ranges) and quantity-based discounts to boost sales.
5. Price Calculator for WooCommerce
This WooCommerce measurement price calculator from Addify offers very similar features to the plugins we've mentioned above. The tool allows customers to enter the exact dimensions they need to buy measurement-based products.
If you're looking for multiple measurement units, pricing tables, stock management capabilities, and pricing unit labels, Price Calculator for WooCommerce has it all.
In addition, the plugin supports different input and output units and you're not limited to product-level pricing. You can set global pricing rules as well. The plugin developer also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for those not impressed by the feature offer.
6. Calculated Fields Form
What about serving your store visitors WooCommerce measurement price calculator fields in web forms? Calculated Fields Form can help you make that happen. It's a multipurpose calculator plugin that's not limited to product pricing only.
You can use it to complete other types of financial and even date operations. This can come in handy for reservation forms. The tool supports numeric fields, currency fields, slider controls, email fields, radio buttons, and checkboxes.
7. Stylish Cost Calculator
Looking for the best plugin to build elegantly designed WooCommerce measurement price calculator fields? Then Stylish Cost Calculator may be the solution you need. The tool specializes in visualizing your products and calculating their prices in the most attractive way possible.
It features multiple invoice style layouts and can double as a lead generation form builder. All you need to do is remove the 'Add to cart' or 'Buy now' buttons. It offers a great way to offer your buyers an excellent user experience while helping them to enjoy measurement-based pricing too.
8. SUMO WooCommerce Measurement Price Calculator
SUMO Price Calculator is also a comprehensive fully-featured WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin that's worthy of mention. The plugin ships with different measurement types, units, and calculator modes.
The tool supports both simple and variable products. You can also keep stock of your inventory in form of the measurement units. It also offers pricing tables and customizable pricing unit labels.
Zigaform is an advanced drag-and-drop form builder. One that brings all the WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin features you need and more. It allows you to build flexible multi-step cost estimation forms. Your buyers can use these forms for measurement-based pricing.
The good thing is you can also use conditional logic here. You can use it to dynamically specify which calculation fields to show or not. It's a must-consider option for store owners looking for measurement-based checkout or invoicing.
10. EZ Form Calculator
As its name suggests, EZ Form Calculator is essentially another form builder plugin. It allows you to embed a measurement price calculator in a fully featured contact form. As a popular use case, this will be ideal for an order form or quote form.
The plugin provides a drag-and-drop editor you can use to create your price calculator forms in the back end. The area calculation form is one of its most popular price calculator form examples.
But EZ Form Calculator is not focused on measurement-based pricing only. You can add other form elements like checkboxes and radio buttons. There are also options for flexible conditional logic to create advanced formulas and pricing rules.
Get the best WooCommerce measurement price calculator for your store
A WooCommerce measurement price calculator plugin is a great tool for expanding your store and improving its shopping experience. Choosing the right one requires you to look out for the right combination of features, ease of use, and WordPress compatibility.
After examining several WooCommerce plugins in this category, we've compiled a selection of the 10 best measurement price calculators out there. Our top pick is WooCommerce Product Options because it's perfect for creating a measurement price calculator, but also lets you add other field types such as checkboxes, text fields, radio buttons, clickable images, and more. It comes with a full 30-day money back guarantee and expert support, so you can try it risk-free.
We also demonstrated how to use WooCommerce Product Options to create your first calculator fields.
We hope this article has helped you add a handy WooCommerce measurement price calculator to your site. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.