Want to collect more customer data during registration on your WooCommerce site? Discover two simple methods to create a custom registration form that collects the specific user information you need.
Registration forms are a core part of the WooCommerce user experience. The default fields like name, email address, and password cover the basics. But what if you want to collect more information from customers during the signup?
Adding custom user registration fields allows you to:
- Better understand your customers.
- Improve security with specialized verification questions.
- Create membership and loyalty programs.
Unfortunately, WooCommerce doesn't provide an easy way to do this out of the box. While professional site owners with coding skills could create their own extra fields, this takes time and for the majority of us, a plugin is the best option.
In this guide, I'll show you how to add custom registration fields to WooCommerce using two different plugins. One is tailored for general WooCommerce users, while the other is specifically designed for wholesale customers. I'll also share some tips on how to make the most of custom registration fields after you've added them.
Let's dive in.
Quick guide: 2 Methods for creating custom registration form fields
The right plugin for creating custom registration form fields will depend largely on the type of website you run. Here are two great options that we're going to discuss in this article:
If you run a general WooCommerce store, you may want to encourage customers to create accounts for various reasons including:
- Build connections with your audience.
- Create customer loyalty programs or role-based discounts.
- Gather feedback for improvement.
- Allow customers to pre-save details so that they can log in and make future purchases without having to re-enter the same information on the checkout page.
For this method, we'll be using the ProfilePress WordPress plugin as it makes it easy to add custom fields to your default WooCommerce registration forms. I'll share more details about it below.
Wholesale store owners often need custom registration forms for the following reasons:
- Wholesalers typically don't want to sell to individual customers, so custom registration forms can help collect and verify legitimate retailers.
- Custom fields also allow wholesalers to collect key business-related information like estimated order volumes and preferred payment methods. This ensures a seamless ordering experience for wholesale customers.
As a WooCommerce add-on for wholesalers, WooCommerce Wholesale Pro provides an intuitive way to create customized B2B registration forms.
Now let's look at how to add custom registration fields using each plugin.
Method 1: Creating custom WooCommerce registration forms for any type of user
ProfilePress offers an all-in-one solution for creating custom forms and user profiles that enhance the user experience. It includes all the features you need to create and design custom forms without writing a single line of code.
Here's a quick overview of how to customize your registration form with ProfilePress. If you're looking for an in-depth guide on creating custom WooCommerce login and registration forms, see our dedicated tutorial.
- Download, install, and activate the ProfilePress plugin.
- Navigate to ProfilePress → Forms & Profiles and click the Add New button. ProfilePress allows you to create custom forms with either the drag-and-drop form builder or the shortcode builder. For this tutorial, we'll focus on the drag-and-drop method.
- Give your form a name, and select Registration as the form type. This will display the pre-designed template for that form type, and you can choose one to start customizing it.
- In the form editor, start adding new fields by dragging and dropping them from the various field types listed on the right side. Once added, click the little gear icon next to any field to customize its label or add a description.
- Scroll down to the Form Settings metabox and customize the form's appearance using the different options available.
- After your form is ready, click the Save Changes button and generate the shortcode.
- Now that we’ve created a custom WooCommerce registration form, it’s time to replace the default form with the one we created. To do that:
- Create a new page and paste the shortcode into a shortcode block.
- Design and publish the page.
- Navigate to ProfilePress → Settings → Pages and set your new page as the registration page.
That's it! Visit the frontend in an incognito tab to see if the new ProfilePress form has replaced the default user registration form.
Method 2: Creating custom wholesale registration forms
The previous method is useful if you're running a general WooCommerce store. But what about wholesale WooCommerce stores that have more specific needs?
Users running a wholesale store can create customized registration forms using the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin. Here are the steps to follow:
- Download, install, and activate the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin.
- In your dashboard, go to WooCommerce → Settings and switch to the Wholesale tab.
- In the General tab, make sure you've selected the correct Wholesale login page and that the Wholesale registration checkbox is checked.
- Switch to the Registration Fields page and start adding custom fields to your wholesale registration form. WooCommerce Wholesale Pro gives you a simple form in which you can add labels, rearrange the fields, and mark certain fields as required fields.
- Once you've added all the fields, click the Save changes button and navigate to the wholesale login page to check if the new registration form appears and functions properly.
In addition to custom registration forms, WooCommerce Wholesale Pro also offers other key features that make it a good solution for wholesale business owners. These features include:
- Add unlimited wholesale user roles with custom pricing tiers.
- Create global or category based discounts.
- Show or hide product categories, taxes, coupons, payment & shipping options for wholesale customers.
- Compatibility with WooCommerce Product Table for creating easy bulk-ordering pages.
Making the most of custom registration fields
The default WooCommerce registration form makes it impossible to collect custom information about customers. Adding custom registration fields is a valuable opportunity to learn more about customers.
Katie Keith - CEO, Barn2 Plugins
Custom registration fields offer several benefits for online stores. They provide useful data to help you improve your business strategy. Let's look at some of the key benefits they offer, as well as actionable tips for maximizing their effectiveness:
- Enhanced user profilesCustom fields allow you to collect additional information about your customers. You can ask users about their shopping preferences, demographic details, or specific interests related to your products to help you in your cross-sell and upsell marketing efforts.
- Improved customer experienceCustom fields can help you better understand your customers' preferences. You can use the data collected from forms to provide personalized product recommendations, promotions, and content to enhance the shopping experience and increase customer satisfaction.
- Marketing and segmentationCustom fields can also help you segment your customer base for more targeted marketing. You can segment your customers based on their interests, purchasing history, or demographics to create more targeted and efficient marketing campaigns.
- Compliance and legal requirementsSome countries require additional information for legal or compliance reasons. In such cases, you can use custom fields to collect necessary data like age verification, agreement to terms, and more.
- Feedback and improvementCustom fields can also be a good channel for collecting feedback or suggestions from customers. You can use custom registration forms to ask questions and encourage users to leave feedback about their experience on your website.
- Membership and loyalty programsIf a store has a membership or loyalty program, custom fields can help collect the necessary information needed for these programs. When a new user registers for your loyalty program, you can ask them about their likes, dislikes, and communication preferences.
- Event and activity planningFor eCommerce stores that host events or activities, custom fields on registration forms can help gather the necessary information needed for event planning. If relevant, include fields asking about attendance confirmation or specific interests in event themes.
Common registration form issues and how to troubleshoot them
When working with registration forms, WordPress site owners can run into a few common problems. Here are some of the top issues, plus tips for troubleshooting them:
- Complexity and user overloadWhen creating custom registration forms, it can be tempting to add various fields to collect as much customer data as possible. However, too many fields or complex requirements can overwhelm users and lead to abandoned signups. You can solve this by streamlining the registration form to only the most essential information you need upfront. Once a user has registered, you can use progressive profiling to collect additional data over time.
- Spam registrationsRegistration forms without proper security measures can become targets for spam and bot signups. Automated bots can easily fill out your forms, allowing them to pollute your customer data with fake profiles. This wastes your time and skews the accuracy of collected information. You can solve this by implementing protective measures such as Google reCAPTCHA, honeypot fields, IP monitoring, and other anti-spam techniques to filter out spammy registrations.
Get started with custom WooCommerce registration forms today
A custom WooCommerce user registration form lets you collect additional information from customers when they sign up. This can help you:
- Better understand your customers.
- Meet their specific business needs.
- Create a more personalized shopping experience.
If you run a traditional WooCommerce store, the ProfilePress plugin allows you to easily add custom fields to your registration form. Wholesalers, on the other hand, can use the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro to create customized B2B registration flows.
Ready to add a custom WooCommerce registration form to your wholesale store? Get started with WooCommerce Wholesale Pro today!