Are you looking for the best way to limit order quantity in your WooCommerce store? There are a lot of reasons why it makes sense to set a minimum or maximum product quantity that customers can buy during checkout. Doing this can help you manage your store better and also maintain great profit margins.
Running a successful online store involves dealing with a couple of business considerations. One of the major factors to look out for is your profit margin. If your WooCommerce store has a lot of products with low-profit margins, you may want to set a minimum order quantity for your customers.
What if there are certain customers trying to order your entire inventory? In other cases, you may have challenges with shipping costs for small unprofitable orders. Setting restrictions for a minimum or maximum quantity can help you get around these problems.
With the default WooCommerce, any customer can add any quantity of any product to their cart (provided it's available) and complete checkout. Fortunately, you can use a WooCommerce plugin to set quantity rules for your WooCommerce store visitors.
In this article, we'll introduce you to the best plugin you can use to limit quantity in WooCommerce. We'll then show you how to complete the entire process in just a few minutes.
Why limit order quantity in WooCommerce?
Just like physical stores, every WooCommerce store has its backend operating costs. Some of these costs include processing, human resource, shipping, and warehousing costs.
Depending on the type of products you sell, allowing your customers to order any product quantity can cause you some problems. Here are a few to consider:
- Tiny orders with low-profit marginsWhen buyers order very few product quantities, fulfilling these orders may not be cost-effective.
- Large orders beyond your warehouse capacityCustomers can also make huge orders that exhaust or exceed your inventory. This is often common with preorders without a stock-keeping unit (SKU).
- Inefficient packaging Certain orders come with packaging difficulties. For example, it might be more profitable to package and ship customer orders in packs of 2.
By setting a WooCommerce quantity limit, you'll be able to make sure your store receives only orders that are profitable for your business. Some of the most popular use cases include:
- Wholesale stores with bulk purchases
- Online restaurant ordering system (ensure customers only order a complete meal)
- Gift vendors (sell gifts in profitable packs or bundles)
- Conditional free shipping
- WooCommerce stores with products that come in pairs
- Software agencies with product bundles
- Seasonal sales, promos, and Buy One Get One (BOGO) deals
With a WooCommerce product quantity plugin, you not only get to set a minimum and maximum order quantity. You can also set a default quantity to encourage shoppers to buy more from you.
Now, let's quickly consider how using a WooCommerce quantity plugin can help you boost your store's profit.
5 benefits of using a WooCommerce quantity plugin
Still wondering why you should consider getting a WooCommerce product quantity plugin? Here are some interesting ways it can benefit your business:
- Ensure each order is profitable. When you limit quantity in WooCommerce, you ensure that each of your orders is well optimized to cover your running costs and maintain a good profit margin.
- Manage your orders better and accept only orders you can deliver. You no longer have to deal with tiny orders that cost a lot to process and ship. You'll now also receive only orders your warehouse capacity can handle. This helps you to deliver a top-notch user experience and maintain a good reputation with your customers.
- Encourage your customers to buy more.You can either use a minimum or default quantity to get shoppers to buy more from your store. You can also set a minimum order value to further protect your profit margins.
- Boost packaging efficiency with custom quantity incrementsYou can set quantity increments that allow buyers to purchase products in multiples of 2,3,4, etc. For example, you may have packaging boxes or pallets that fit 6 products. In this case, you can change the quantity increment value from 1 to 6. This helps you avoid shipping boxes or containers with empty spaces.
- Predict and increase your average order value with default quantities.Setting default order or product quantities can also help you predict or boost your average value over a certain period. This makes it possible for you to plan ahead and stock up or manage your inventory as required.
Sure, a WooCommerce quantity plugin brings a lot of benefits to your online store. But a lot of these benefits depend on the features of the plugin you choose.
Let's talk about the solution we highly recommend for WooCommerce quantity management.
The best plugin for limiting WooCommerce quantity
There are quite a number of WooCommerce minimum and maximum quantity plugins out there. But just like every other WordPress plugin niche, you need to be really careful when choosing the right one for your project.
Before procuring a WooCommerce plugin, it's important to ensure that:
- The plugin delivers the features you need efficiently. You need to make sure that a plugin really has a feature it advertises and that the feature works well. The best plugins offer extra features that make your site even more functional. For example, a good quantity plugin will also come with options to add a minimum or maximum order value.
- It's beginner-friendly. A good plugin has a simple intuitive interface. It also makes it possible for even non-expert users to follow a straightforward logical pattern to set things up.
- It performs great. Performance is another factor to look out for. The ideal plugin uses light code and won't slow down or break your site.
- The plugin developers offer great support. No matter how experienced you are, there are certain moments when you may run into some issues when using a plugin. In such cases, a vendor with great support will help you troubleshoot and resolve your issues fast.
When it comes to setting a WooCommerce quantity limit, WooCommerce Quantity Manager ticks all the boxes. The plugin offers all the features you'll need to manage your orders and operate your store more efficiently.
What can you do with WooCommerce Quantity Manager?
As the best plugin for setting a WooCommerce quantity limit, WooCommerce Quantity Manager allows you to take full control of your WooCommerce store. The product helps you to do more than just setting minimum and maximum quantities. You can also use it to add quantity increments, set default quantity, and even create advanced spending rules.
Take a look at some of its features:
- Advanced product quantity controlsStart by setting minimum and maximum quantities for each product or each customer order. You can then set a minimum order value or even change the default quantity for each product. This can help your store generate more profit.
- Manage quantities at multiple levelsApart from limiting product quantity or order value storewide, you can apply specific settings to certain products only. Apply quantity limits to orders, individual products, product variations, product categories, or user roles.
- Set up quantity increment valuesQuantity increments are intervals or step values that allow customers to order products in a specified quantity grouping. For example, you can restrict customers to only order products in the multiples of 3,4, and 5.
- Intuitive error promptsQuantity Manager notifies your customers when they select the wrong product quantity. It then guides them to choose and validate the right quantity before going to checkout.
One of the advantages that make Quantity Manager stand out is the sheer amount of flexibility you get with it. The tool delivers an extensive set of features while making it easy to find your way around.
Let's now show you the simple process required to get Quantity Manager running and start enjoying its features.
Tutorial: How to limit quantities in WooCommerce
Are you ready to set a WooCommerce quantity limit the easy way? You can do this by getting your copy of WooCommerce Quantity here.
Step 1: Install and activate WooCommerce Quantity Manager
After completing your purchase, you'll get a confirmation email with your product license key. You'll use this key to activate the plugin in your WordPress backend later.
- Log into your WordPress admin area and navigate to Plugins → Add New → Upload Plugin to add the plugin to your site.
- The next step is to select the ZIP file you downloaded after getting the plugin. Once you've uploaded the plugin to WordPress, click Install Now and then Activate Plugin.
- On the next page, you'll be required to enter a license key. Enter the license key from your confirmation email and click Activate.
Quantity Manager has a quick setup wizard that allows you to set some cart rules and default quantity and step values. For the cart rules, you get to set a minimum or maximum number of items buyers can add to their cart or limit the order values as well.
These values will apply storewide but you can override them when you set other values for individual products or product categories.
Step 2: Set order quantity rules
To get access to all your WooCommerce quantity limit settings, go to WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Quantity manager.
The first tab to check out is the 'Order quantity rules' rules. This is where you get to set the minimum and maximum values for the number of items a customer can add to their cart.
You can also tweak a couple of settings on this page as well. For example, you can change your store's global default quantity, add a quantity increment value, or set a limit for each cart's total order value. When you're done, click Save changes.
That's it! You've successfully added a WooCommerce quantity limit to your store. This limit will apply to all your products except you set a different limit for individual products, categories, or product variations.
Step 3: Set quantity limits for product categories (optional)
To override the global quantity rules and set specific rules for certain product categories or products, first navigate to the product category. Do this by going to Products → Categories and clicking Edit under the category you want to customize.
On the next page, scroll down to the 'Quantity rules' section and enter the minimum and maximum values for all the products in the category.
You can also set default quantity or order value rules here. When you're done, click Update to save your new settings. Adding quantity rules to individual products or product variations also follows a similar procedure.
Let's show you how to do this!
How-to: Set WooCommerce quantity limit per product
To limit the quantity of a particular product a customer can order, you need to add a quantity rule on the product level.
To do this, navigate to Products and click Edit under the product you want to add the quantity rule to.
Next scroll down and go to the Inventory tab in the Product data section. Here, you'll enter the maximum and minimum quantity values in the 'Quantity rules' tab.
These values will automatically override the global quantity limit values. Similarly, you can set a default quantity or quantity increment values for the product too.
To set a quantity limit on the product variation level, go to the Variations and select the variation you want. Then enter the minimum and maximum values in the 'Quantity rules' field.
That's how easy it is to control quantity on the product level!
How-to: LimitWooCommerce quantity per customer
Finally, you can also limit the number of products each customer can order in your store. To do this, you'll need to use a combination of one or more of the 3 options we've mentioned above.
You can either:
- Set quantity limits for the total number of items in a customer's cart per order.
- Set quantity limits for each product in a product category.
- Or simply limit the quantity of an individual product or product variation the customer can order.
The other alternative to consider is to apply quantity limits to only the users with a particular user role. You can do this by going to WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Quantity manager. Then scroll to the User roles field and select as many user roles you want the rule to apply to.
The easy way to limit product quantity
By default, WooCommerce allows all your store visitors to select and order any product quantity available in your store. This can be bad for your business as it makes it difficult to maximize your profit margins and manage your inventory and shipping in a flexible way.
Fortunately, you can use WooCommerce Quantity Manager to set quantity limits for your WooCommerce store. The plugin allows you to set minimum and maximum quantity values for individual products, product categories, or a customer's entire cart per order.
Ready to set WooCommerce quantity limits for your store? You can start by getting your copy of WooCommerce Quantity Manager.