Looking for a WooCommerce hide price tutorial so that you can hide product prices from some or all of your store's visitors? Hiding prices from public view works great for wholesale stores, catalog sites, and many other situations. But, unfortunately, WooCommerce doesn't include any built-in way to hide product prices.
Don't worry, though! It's definitely doable, and you won't even need to write a line of code to set it up. Yup – you'll be able to hide WooCommerce product prices with no code snippets or editing functions.php!
In this guide, we'll show you how to hide prices in WooCommerce for a few different situations. By the end, you'll be able to completely hide prices for all visitors, conditionally hide prices by user role or logged-in status, plus a few other scenarios! Some visitors will see the price as usual, and others will see the WooCommerce products without price.
When does it make sense to keep prices hidden?
There are a lot of different use cases in which you might need a WooCommerce hide price plugin. Let's run through some situations in which WooCommerce without prices makes sense:
- Wholesale stores If you have a WooCommerce wholesale store, you probably want to remove the price from retail customers while still letting authenticated wholesale customers see the wholesale price. That way, you can use WooCommerce to show prices only to registered users.
- CatalogsIf you just want to create a browsable catalog of products, but don't actually want to sell them through your website, you might want to show WooCommerce products without price or add to cart button.
- Members-only stores Similar to a wholesale store, you could create a members-only WooCommerce store where registered shoppers must login to see prices. You could even combine this with a WordPress membership plugin to charge users to sign up to your store and see the prices.
You can probably come up with your own scenarios where your store can benefit from a WooCommerce hide price plugin, too.
Different ways to hide prices in WooCommerce
In this WooCommerce hide price tutorial, I'm going to share several different methods with you. Read through the options and decide the best way to hide product prices...
- Option 1 - Hide prices from logged out usersUse the Wholesale Pro plugin to hide prices from logged out WooCommerce users. Learn more.
- Option 2 - List products in a table without pricesUse the WooCommerce Product Table plugin to list products without prices. Learn more.
- Option 3 - Create quick view lightboxes without pricesUse the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin to create product lightboxes with no pricing. Learn more.
- Option 4 - Make your whole store or specific categories privateUse the WooCommerce Private Store or WooCommerce Protected Categories plugins to hide products completely, instead of just hiding prices. Learn more.
Option 1 - Hide prices from logged out users
First, let's look at the most dynamic option. This can conditionally hide WooCommerce product prices from logged in users. Prices appear as normal for logged in users. They simply login to WooCommerce to see prices.
To use WooCommerce to only show prices when logged in, you need the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin. This WooCommerce hide price plugin lets you show/hide prices depending on:
- Show/hide prices for users who are not logged in.
- Display different prices and tax information depending on the user's role.
For example, if you're running a wholesale store, this would let you make your product catalog public, but only show prices to people who register for a wholesale seller account.
While the plugin is mostly designed for wholesale stores, you don't have to use it for wholesale. You can just use it to remove the WooCommerce price for guest users so that people must log in to see the price of each product.
How to set it up
Once you install and activate the WooCommerce hide price plugin, go to WooCommerce → Settings → Wholesale. Simply tick the 'Hide price until login' box and save the page. As if by magic, your WooCommerce prices will be hidden from logged out customers.
Now, the price will be hidden to non-logged in users everywhere on your site. This includes the shop page, category pages and single product pages. It also disables the buy buttons from logged out users. If you disable the price in WooCommerce, then they can't make a purchase!
WooCommerce Wholesale Pro integrates perfectly with WooCommerce Product Table. (In fact, you can save money by buying both plugins together as a bundle.) So you could, for example, create a product table that does include a price column, but only displays the price in the column if a user has a certain role or is logged in.
In addition to hiding price by logged-in status, the same WooCommerce hide price plugin plugin also lets you conditionally hide prices and show different pricing based on a user's role.
For example, if you're running a public and wholesale store, then it works like this:
- Logged out users are in catalog-mode, where they can't see prices or buy buttons.
- Logged in users with the default 'customer' role can see your normal product pages.
- Wholesale roles are shown the correct price for their role.
Further reading: How to use the WooCommerce Hide Price Until Login plugin.
Exploring real-world applications of the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin
The most obvious real-world application of using WooCommerce Wholesale Pro to hide prices from logged out users is for a B2B wholesale store. That's not surprising, given its name 😀. However, that is only one of many ways that you can use this hide price until login plugin.
Even if you're not selling to the trade, there are lots of reasons why you might want to hide prices based on user role. For example:
- An exclusive members-only purchasing club might display products publicly, while only showing prices to logged in users. That way, the products can still rank in search engines for SEO purposes, while also attracting new members to join. However, they can only be purchased by logged in users.
- Similarly, you might sell branded products to regular customers only, such as schools, sportswear or workwear. It's fine to display these products in the public areas of your WooCommerce store, for example so that potential customers are more likely to make an enquiry. However, you would want to hide the prices until login by an authorized user.
Once people have logged in to reveal the hidden prices, you can sell to them as usual. For example, this might involve using other plugins to set a minimum order price amount or set product prices based on quantity.
Related tutorial: How to set custom prices in WooCommerce: 3+ plugins.
Option 2 - List products in a table without prices
In option 2, we'll learn how to completely eliminate price from the equation for all visitors. For example, you could use this to create a catalog page with a searchable directory of all your products.
For this use case, you'd likely want to:
- Hide all mention of prices
- Hide the add to cart button
To set this up, you can use WooCommerce Product Table to create a table view catalog of products. This also has the benefit of adding user-friendly filters and search options to help shoppers browse your catalog.
It's an alternative to the default WooCommerce shop page that you can use to completely replace the shop page. Alternatively, you can use it to list products in addition to the WooCommerce shop page.
The WooCommerce hide price plugin lets you control exactly which columns display in your product table. This makes it easy to remove the product price from WooCommerce, or even remove the add to cart buttons completely.
If you're just looking to create a catalog or table listing and you want to hide the price from all users, WooCommerce Product Table is all you need. Or if you want to remove the price for logged out users only, then you also need the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin from Option 1.
How to create a catalog page with no price or add to cart button
- Install WooCommerce Product Table on your WordPress site.
- Go to the plugin settings page at WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Product tables.
- Activate your license key and enable the options to show product tables on the shop and category pages.
- Now view your main WooCommerce shop page. At first, it will look something like this:
Of course, you don't want to show the price. To hide it, simply remove the price and add-to-cart columns. You can easily do this on the plugin settings page:
Once you remove the price from the WooCommerce table, there will be no more price or add to cart button in your product list:
Disable links to the single product page
To ensure that visitors can't click through to the single product page (and see the price and add to cart button there), you'll also want to use WooCommerce Product Table's Product links option to disable prices and links to the single product page:
Option 3 - Create quick view lightboxes without prices
Another user-friendly option is to stack WooCommerce Product Table with the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin. When a user clicks on a product name, it opens the product quick view box instead of taking them to the single product page.
The benefit of adding product quick view functionality is that customers can view more information each product, without visiting the actual product page. The product page contains product pricing, so you don't want that!
Quick View Pro gives you built-in options to disable the price and add to cart button in WooCommerce. That way, it lets shoppers view more details about your products without exposing the price.
How to add product quick view without prices
- Install WooCommerce Quick View Pro on your WordPress site.
- Go to the plugin settings page at WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Quick view.
- Activate your license key and disable price and 'Show add to cart button' options.
- Go back to the WooCommerce Product Table settings page WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Product tables. Add a quick-view column to the product table.
You can also use WooCommerce Quick View Pro with the WooCommerce Wholesale Pro plugin from Option 1. This lets you show prices in the quick view lightbox to logged in users only.
To do this, enable the 'Hide Price Until Login' feature in WooCommerce Wholesale Pro, and enable prices in Quick View. That way, logged out users will see the quick view lightbox without prices. Whereas logged in users will see prices as usual.
Option 4 - Make your whole store or specific categories private
The above solutions assume that you want to hide the prices for otherwise public products. That is, you want everyone to be able to see the product details – you just don't want people to be able to see the prices.
However, that might not always be the case and, depending on your situation, you might actually benefit from a different approach than the WooCommerce hide price plugins above.
For example, if you don't want unauthenticated shoppers to be able to see any part of your products, you might want to:
- Make your entire store private, either by adding a password or requiring people to log in to browse your store.
- Make a specific product category (or specific categories) private, either by adding a password or requiring people to log in to browse the private categories.
Or, if you're specifically looking to hide WooCommerce prices to create a wholesale store where wholesale customers can see prices, but retail customers cannot, then you might want to check out our complete guide to creating a WooCommerce wholesale store. This guide will teach you how to offer different prices for retail customers and wholesale customers, rather than completely hiding prices. You can also learn how to set up a price per unit or WooCommerce paywall.
Where to get the plugins
There are lots of reasons why you might want to show a WooCommerce product without price. Learning how to hide prices in WooCommerce gives you more control over who has access to important pricing information. It's an especially great tactic for wholesale stores, though you can also use it for catalog sites, members-only stores, or any other situation where you just don't want product prices to be visible right away.
To recap, there are several WooCommerce hide price plugins to choose from:
- Hide prices from logged out usersUse WooCommerce Wholesale Pro to hide prices from logged out visitors.
- List products in a table without pricesUse WooCommerce Product Table to list products without prices.
- Create quick view lightboxes without pricesUse the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin to create product lightboxes without prices.
- Make your whole store or specific categories privateUse WooCommerce Private Store or WooCommerce Protected Categories to hide products completely.
To get started, grab your chosen plugin(s) and start hiding prices in WooCommerce.
Have any questions about how to add WooCommerce hide price functionality to your store? Ask away in the comments!