Today we've released a free WooCommerce plugin into the official WordPress plugin repository. The plugin is called WooCommerce Custom Add to Cart Button. It provides an easy way to change the 'Add to Cart' button text, replace the add to cart text with an icon, or add an icon alongside the button text.
Why customize the WooCommerce add to cart button?
There are lots of reasons why store owners might want an option in WooCommerce to customize the add to cart button.
- Do you feel that the 'add to cart' text wording doesn't quite fit with your brand? For example, a lot of WooCommerce store in the UK change the button text to 'add to basket'. Think about what custom add to cart text would work better for you.
- Are you using another plugin to change the function of the WooCommerce add to cart button? This could be through a course bookings plugin, events plugin, add to quote plugin, etc. If so, you might want to reword the Add to Cart text with something more relevant, such as 'Enrol Now', 'Book a Place', 'Add to Quote' or 'Make an Enquiry'.
- If you've used our Product Table plugin to create a WooCommerce order form, then you might want to remove the Add to Cart text and replace it with a simple cart icon for each product.
- Or maybe you just want to change the capitalization of the add to cart text, for example from lowercase to uppercase or vice versa.
Whatever your reason for wanting to change the add to cart link in WooCommerce, you can do it with the free WooCommerce Custom Add to Cart Button plugin.
What features does the plugin have?
We've kept the plugin intentionally simple and lightweight, so it won't weigh down your site. It comes with all the essential features for customizing the WooCommerce add to cart button text and adding a cart icon:
- Change the wording of the WooCommerce add to cart button text.
- Add a high definition (retina) WooCommerce cart icon alongside the text.
- Hide the add to cart text and just have an icon.
Here are some examples of the plugin in action:
Where can I get the Custom Add to Cart Button WooCommerce plugin?
You can download the WooCommerce Custom Add to Cart Button plugin from the WordPress plugin repository. It's completely free of charge and won't cost you a penny.
How do I use the plugin?
- Log into the WordPress Dashboard and go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for 'WooCommerce Custom Add to Cart Button'.
- Install and activate the plugin of this name by Barn2 Media.
- Go to Appearance > Customizer > WooCommerce > Add to Cart and choose the options for your custom WooCommerce add to cart buttons.
As you can see, the plugin is incredibly simple to use. There are full usage instructions on the official WooCommerce Custom Add to Cart Button plugin page on wordpress.org, but that's basically it!
Are there any other WooCommerce custom add to cart button plugins?
In our research, we discovered 3 other plugins that let you change the WooCommerce add to cart button text, and only one that adds a WooCommerce cart icon to the button. 3 of these haven't been updated for several years, which is always worrying when you're trying to develop a successful online store that will last you into the future.
Lots of people using our popular WooCommerce Product Table plugin have asked us for an easy way to create a custom WooCommerce add to cart button with different text and an icon.
We decided that store owners worldwide will definitely benefit from a free plugin to change the WooCommerce add to cart button text and add an icon. As a result, we have developed the WooCommerce Custom Add to Cart Button plugin and hope it is useful for you.
What is the future of the WooCommerce add to cart plugin?
We will support and maintain the Custom Add to Cart Plugin, and release new versions to keep it running smoothly future versions of WordPress and WooCommerce.
We'll also keep a feature request list with details of any new features that people ask for. Please let us know if you'd like to make any further customizations to your WooCommerce add to cart buttons. For example, would you like to:
- Show different buttons on different parts of your store?
- Hide the button completely and just have a WooCommerce add to cart icon?
- Customize the color of the add to cart button text, background color and/or border?
- Choose different add to cart icons, instead of just having a shopping cart icon?
- Or something else?
We'll keep a record of how much demand there is for each feature. We will use this to continue improving the plugin in future. Please let us know how we can make the plugin more useful for you!