In an increasingly online world, individuals and businesses need to know what web hosting options are best suited to their websites. So we ask the question: Web hosting vs WordPress hosting, which is better?
Web hosting is a service that allows individuals and businesses to make their websites accessible to the public via the Internet. WordPress hosting, on the other hand, is a specialized form of web hosting that is specifically optimized for hosting WordPress websites.
Choosing the best web hosting service for your website is essential, as different types of websites have different requirements. For example, an e-commerce website with high traffic needs a hosting service to handle heavy traffic, whereas a small blog with low traffic can do with a basic hosting plan.
This article discusses the benefits of managed WordPress hosting. Managed WordPress hosting is a hosting service in which the hosting provider manages all technical aspects of hosting your WordPress website. This covers software updates, security, backups, and other tasks.
There are multiple benefits to managed WordPress hosting, including quicker loading speed, better SEO, improved security, automatic backups, and 24/7 support. By selecting a managed WordPress hosting service, you can concentrate on developing content for your website while the hosting provider handles the rest.
If you don't have time to read the full article, our top pick for the best WordPress hosting service is Kinsta. Their hosting package allows you to enjoy all the benefits of managed WordPress hosting at an affordable price.
Understanding generic web hosting
Before we can begin to answer web hosting vs WordPress hosting which is the better hosting solution? We need to properly understand what web hosting is. Web hosting is the service of storing website files and making them accessible online. A generic web hosting service caters to websites built on various platforms, as opposed to dedicated WordPress hosting, which is tailored for WordPress sites.
Generic web hosting is a system that allows websites to be accessed by internet users, typically through a web server. This form of hosting may include features such as email accounts, databases, and website builders. Website owners may use any website builder or content management system (CMS) to design their websites with generic web hosting, making it an excellent choice for anyone looking for a customizable and versatile hosting service. Finally, when choosing a web hosting provider, it is important to consider factors like uptime, customer support, security, and pricing. Uptime refers to the period of time your website is accessible to visitors, therefore it is crucial that you choose a provider with high uptime rates.
Types of web hosting
- Shared hosting is the most common type of web hosting, and it's also the most affordable. Your website shares a server with other websites when you use shared hosting. This means that server resources such as CPU, RAM, and storage space are shared by all websites. Shared hosting is best suited for tiny websites with low traffic or applications that require a lot of resources.
- VPS hosting is a step up from shared hosting, offering more control and flexibility. With VPS (virtual private server) hosting, your website still shares a server with other websites, but each website is allocated a dedicated amount of resources. This means you have greater control over the server. You can install custom software and configure it to match your specific needs.
- Dedicated hosting is a type of hosting where you rent an entire physical server for your website. As a result, you have full control over the dedicated server's hardware, software, and operating system. E-commerce websites and gaming platforms are good examples of websites that might benefit from dedicated hosting because of their high traffic and resource requirements.
- Cloud hosting is a type of hosting that utilizes a network of servers to host your website. Your website's files and data are stored on multiple servers, which means that your website can quickly adapt to changes in traffic and resource demands. Cloud hosting is best suited for websites that require high availability and uptime, such as e-commerce sites or SaaS platforms.
Common features of generic web hosting plans
Generic web hosting plans typically include features such as disk space, bandwidth, email accounts, a control panel, domain name registration, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates, customer support, backups, one-click installs, and website builder tools. These features are designed to provide users with the resources they need to host a website, manage their online presence, and ensure website security and functionality.
One popular web hosting provider that offers these features is Armada. As an up-and-coming startup hosting company, they have excellent performance, reviews, and systems that make them a reliable choice for website owners.
Some of the common features of Armada's web hosting plans include:
- Control Panel: Armada provides an intuitive control panel that allows website owners to manage their websites, databases, email accounts, and other aspects of their hosting plan.
- Unlimited Storage and Bandwidth: The hosting plan comes with unlimited storage and bandwidth, which means website owners can upload as much content as they want and not worry about exceeding their plan's limits.
- Free SSL Certificate: Their web hosting plans include a free SSL certificate, which ensures that visitors' information is secure and helps improve the website's search engine rankings.
- 24/7 Support: Website owners are guaranteed access to a 24/7 support team via chat, email, and phone, which means they can get help anytime they need it.
Overall, Host Armada offers a range of features that make them an excellent choice for website owners. With their intuitive control panel, unlimited storage & bandwidth, and 24/7 support, they provide a reliable and user-friendly web hosting experience. They are a good option for web hosting in the web hosting vs WordPress hosting discussion.
Understanding WordPress hosting
WordPress is one of the most popular web hosting companies on the internet, powering over 40% of all websites. WordPress hosting is a type of web hosting service that is designed exclusively for WordPress websites. It provides features that help to speed up and secure WordPress websites, such as pre-installed WordPress software, automated upgrades, and specialized caching. Users can build high-performing WordPress websites with very little or even no technical skills. These websites are designed to make the web hosting experience for individual businesses more simplified. WordPress does this by automating many of the tasks a website owner would need technical skills to perform in order to run their website. However, when creating a WordPress website, one important consideration is choosing the right hosting provider.
There are two types of WordPress hosting:
- Shared WordPress hosting
- Managed WordPress hosting
Shared hosting is the most affordable and popular choice for WordPress hosting. It involves sharing server resources with other websites, which can sometimes result in slower load speed and security vulnerabilities. Managed WordPress hosting is a premium solution that provides the highest level of performance, security, and support.
Managed WordPress hosting options usually offer several benefits, including automatic updates, daily backups, specialized caching, and enhanced security features. Website owners who use managed WordPress hosting may concentrate on developing content and building their business while the hosting provider handles the technical aspects of website management. Furthermore, when compared to other types of hosting, managed WordPress hosting typically has faster load speeds and better uptime.
Managed WordPress hosting vs. generic web hosting
The main benefits of Managed WordPress hosting are:
- High Performance: Managed WordPress hosting is optimized for WordPress websites, which means that the servers are configured to handle the specific requirements of the platform. This results in faster loading times, better performance, and a better user experience for your visitors.
- Enhanced Security: Hosting providers have a dedicated team of experts who constantly monitor the servers for potential security threats and take measures to prevent attacks. This ensures that your website is protected from hackers and other malicious actors.
- Automatic Updates: You don't have to worry about manually updating your website's software and plugins. The hosting provider takes care of this for you, ensuring that your website is always running on the latest and most secure version of WordPress.
The main benefits of generic web hosting are:
- Flexibility: Generic web hosting allows you to host a wide range of websites, not just WordPress sites. This gives you more flexibility in terms of the type of website you can create.
- Lower Cost: Generic Web Hosting is typically cheaper than Managed WordPress hosting. This is because the hosting provider doesn't have to provide specialized software and hardware for WordPress websites.
- More Control: With Generic Web Hosting, you have more control over your website. With technical skills, you can configure your server settings, install any software that you want, and make any changes to your website that you want.
To sum it all up, managed WordPress hosting offers you convenience through better performance, security, and automatic updates. Generic web hosting offers you freedom through increased flexibility, lower costs, and more control. Ultimately, your decision between generic web hosting vs WordPress hosting will depend on your website's needs and your budget.
Kinsta and WP Engine: Top-managed WordPress hosting providers
Kinsta is a managed WordPress hosting provider that offers a range of features and benefits for website owners. Their hosting platform is built on Google Cloud Platform, which ensures high performance, scalability, and security. Kinsta also offers a range of features, including automatic backups, free SSL certificates, staging environments, and a user-friendly dashboard.
Features and Benefits
- Custom hosting dashboard
- Automatic backups
- Staging environments
- Developer-friendly tools
- Free SSL certificates
- CDN integration
Kinsta and WP Engine are two popular managed WordPress hosting providers that offer similar features but with some key differences. Kinsta's plans start at $30 per month for a single WordPress site and include unlimited visits, free SSL certificates, daily backups, and a staging environment.
WP Engine's plans start at $25 per month for a single WordPress site and also include free SSL certificates and daily backups, but they offer a 60-day money-back guarantee and a wider range of plans with features such as content delivery network (CDN) and multisite support. Ultimately, the choice between Kinsta and WP Engine depends on your specific needs and budget.
Both Kinsta and WP Engine provide 24/7 customer support. Kinsta has a knowledge base and a blog with helpful tutorials and articles. They also have a community forum where users can share their experiences and ask questions. WP Engine, on the other hand, has a large library of resources. This includes a knowledge base, a blog, and a video library. They also have a community Slack channel where users can connect with each other and get help from WP Engine staff.
Factors to consider when choosing between web hosting and WordPress hosting
Business size and website traffic: If you have a small business with low traffic, shared web hosting might be sufficient. However, if you expect high traffic, especially if you plan on running an online store or have a content-heavy website, then you might need more robust hosting. WordPress hosting might be a better option as it is optimized for WordPress sites and provides more resources and performance enhancements.
Technical expertise: Web hosting typically requires more technical knowledge as it requires more configuration, setup, and maintenance. If you're a beginner or don't have the technical expertise, then a WordPress hosting provider might be a better choice as it provides managed services and takes care of the technical aspects of hosting.
Budget and long-term costs: Web hosting plans are usually cheaper, but you'll need to take care of the technical aspects yourself. WordPress hosting is generally more expensive, but it comes with more features, managed services, and better performance. In the long run, it might be more cost-effective to choose WordPress hosting as it can save you time and effort.
Specific website requirements and features: WordPress hosting is ideal for WordPress sites. It comes with pre-installed plugins and themes that are optimized for WordPress. However, if you're building a non-WordPress site or have specific customization needs, then web hosting might be a better choice.
A cheap WordPress hosting alternative
One of the things that makes Siteground so affordable is its shared hosting plans. They can start at just a few dollars per month. While shared hosting isn't the fastest or most secure option out there, it can be a great choice for smaller sites or those just starting out.
Another thing that sets Siteground apart is its customer support. They offer 24/7 live chat and phone support, as well as an extensive knowledge base and helpful community forums. This can be especially important if you're new to WordPress or just need a little extra help getting started.
That said, it's worth noting that Siteground may not be the best choice for everyone. If you have a larger or more complex site, or if you need the fastest possible performance, you may want to consider a more high-end option like Kinsta or WP Engine. However, for users specifically looking for a cheap and reliable WordPress hosting solution, we highly recommend Siteground. Their WordPress hosting plans offer a great combination of affordability, features, and support.
Managed WordPress hosting offers better performance, enhanced security, and automatic updates. These benefits make the web hosting experience more convenient. Especially for a new website owner. Your WordPress plans also come with expert support, and increased scalability compared to generic web hosting. This hosting solution provides a tailored and optimized hosting experience for WordPress users.
For businesses looking for optimal performance and support, we recommended Kinsta and WP Engine as their managed WordPress hosting solutions. Both of these companies offer the best WordPress hosting services available right now due to their custom hosting dashboards, developer-friendly tools, and CDN integration, just to mention a few perks.
Perhaps you've seen the web hosting vs WordPress hosting discussion and you've decided that managed WordPress hosting isn't for you. If so, Host Armada is a good hosting solution worth considering. It's an exciting up-and-coming hosting company offering brilliant services. I would highly recommend it because it provides a reliable and user-friendly hosting experience.
All in all, choosing a hosting plan for your website is not an easy thing to do. You need to take time to carefully assess your individual business needs, objectives, and budgetary capabilities before making a hosting decision.