Adding a multi-step checkout to your WooCommerce store can have a massive impact on your conversions and sales. The only problem is, you can’t create a multistep checkout with a standard WooCommerce install. So, let’s solve that problem for you.
In this article, you’ll learn why a multistep checkout is beneficial and how to add one to your WooCommerce store. All with the help of the WooCommerce multistep checkout plugin, Flux Checkout for WooCommerce.
If you don’t have a multistep checkout currently, the standard one-page checkout in your WooCommerce might be overwhelming and distracting.
By simplifying and adding a multi-step checkout to your store, you’ll make the experience seamless for your prospective buyers. You’ll also reduce your cart abandonment rate, and improve your conversion rate at the same time.
So, before we jump into the how first let’s address the why.
Why add a multistep checkout to WooCommerce?
As a store owner, you work hard to ensure that every part of your business is running smoothly and efficiently. All so you can focus on what truly matters: adding value and improving your customer’s life through your products.
The last thing you want is for someone to not experience your product because of technical frustrations.
That’s why you want to make sure their checkout experience is frustration-free so that they can get their hands on your products as fast as possible! With a multistep checkout plugin, such as Flux Checkout for WooCommerce, you’ll deliver on that promise.
So let’s break down the main benefits of using a multistep checkout plugin like Flux:
A multistep checkout reduces checkout abandonment
You’ve probably experienced a frustrating checkout process at one point or another in your online buying life. For many customers, a lengthy and complicated checkout page is enough to make them abandon their cart.
In fact, according to Baymard Institute data, 18% of users abandon their carts due to long or complicated checkouts. With Flux, you’ll reduce your checkout abandonment rate because it:
- Removes unnecessary fields for the customers to fill out (while still giving you everything you need).
- Auto completes addresses (one single field needed instead of multiple ones).
- Automatically adjusts sizing and layout to mobile devices (creating an easy and seamless process for the customer).
A multistep checkout removes distractions
Flux Checkout for WooCommerce creates an app-like experience, removing the site navigation so your customers can fully focus on purchasing.
Imagine your store being so easy to buy from and clutter-free that they won’t think twice about completing the checkout. Their single point of focus is on the screen at hand and on completing the guided checkout.
Flux removes your site’s standard navigation, sidebars, banners, and more to show only the simplified steps your customers need to take to make a purchase.
By having the customers go through separate pages, you can cleanly display only the very specific information required. A straightforward checkout process is key in increasing sales, which is exactly what you’ll get with Flux.
A multistep checkout guides the customer to purchase
As a WooCommerce multistep checkout plugin, Flux will guide your customers through the checkout process making it as simple and easy as possible for them.
How simple, you ask? It’s just three steps in logical order: Details, Address, and Payment.
By sectioning each one of these, and prompting the customer at the right time, Flux removes the bulkiness of the standard checkout page.
Since the last stage of the customer’s journey is the most crucial one, each one of these steps is engineered to ensure that you convert them successfully. They’re already interested and excited about your product. So all you have to do is take them to the finish line without any distractions.
A multistep checkout is mobile friendly
Customers want simplicity. The majority of people now shop with their smartphones (85% shop online using their smartphones versus 63% on laptops). As that’s the case in today’s world, you want to make sure you offer a convenient and easy way to checkout as that’s a must.
Overcomplicating the checkout process can result in lost sales and unhappy customers. So by installing a multistep checkout like Flux, you’ll ensure customers get the best experience possible on their mobile device (with Flux’s app-like design).
So now we’ve covered the benefits of adding a multistep checkout to your WooCommerce store, let’s dive more into why you should use the Flux Checkout for WooCommerce plugin to do it.
Add a multistep checkout with Flux Checkout for WooCommerce
Here’s why the plugin Flux Checkout is the best way to add a multistep checkout to WooCommerce.
What is Flux Checkout?
Flux is a WooCommerce multistep checkout plugin that replaces your lengthy and daunting standard checkout page in WooCommerce.
It seamlessly integrates with your current theme to guide your customers through a simple and user-friendly checkout process. One that will make their buying experience much more enjoyable.
When this happens, you’ll notice a lower cart abandonment rate and an increase in sales.
Here’s a brief overview of the key features that Flux offers:
- Your customers will have to fill out fewer fields, making it quicker and easier for them to purchase.
- Their address will be automatically populated so they don’t spend time on multiple lines to input their information.
- The sizing and layout of the page are automatically adjusted for the mobile site, making it a seamless experience.
- It’s compatible with your theme and 3rd party plugins so everything runs smoothly from the get-go.
- Flux is easy to set up, just install and customize and it’s ready to go.
Not only is Flux easy to set up and use, but you can fully customize it so it fits with your brand’s look and feel.
Here are some of the customizations available to you:
- Personalize the checkout header text.
- Change the font, button/primary/accent colors to fit your theme.
- Decide to use on desktop as well as mobile.
- And more.
How to add a multistep checkout to WooCommerce
Below, you’ll find the step-by-step instructions to add a multistep checkout to your WooCommerce store. There are two major steps involved:
- Installing the multistep WooCommerce checkout plugin (Flux Checkout for WooCommerce).
- Customizing it to fit your store.
Let’s get it up and customized!
Step 1: Install Flux Checkout for WooCommerce plugin
To purchase the Flux Checkout for WooCommerce plugin, go to the Iconic store here: iconicwp.com/products/flux-checkout-for-woocommerce
Once you’ve purchased Flux you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Go to Plugins → Add New → Upload Plugin.
- Choose the zip file you downloaded, upload, and then click Activate.
- Once activated, you’ll need to enter your license key.
With Flux Checkout now installed, we can move on to customizing your multistep checkout.
Step 2: Customize Flux for your store
Flux checkout is now activated in your store, but you’re going to want to adjust the settings first. Let’s make sure your customers get the most from your new multistep checkout.
To customize the settings according to your theme’s design, do the following:
- From your WordPress dashboard, go to WooCommerce → Flux Checkout.
- Then click the General Settings tab at the top of the page.
- Once here, you’ll be able to enable or disable Flux Checkout on desktop or just have it show on mobile by selecting one of the buttons next to Disable Desktop.
- Next, you’ll be able to activate the address autocomplete option by clicking the checkbox next to Use Address Autocomplete.
- Once you’re happy with all the settings on this tab, click the blue Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
- Next, click the Header Settings tab at the top - this tab helps you customize how the header of your checkout looks.
- To change the header type from text to image, click the appropriate radio button next to Header Type (this can be your store’s logo).
- On this tab you’ll also be able to change the font type, size, and color to match your theme. As well as changing the header background and the ‘Back to Cart’ link color.
- Again, once you’re happy with these changes, click the blue Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
- Lastly, click the Checkout Style tab - this is the style section to help you customize how your multi-step checkout looks.
- On this tab, you can pick a color theme from the pre-selections offered, or choose your own custom colors (you can input a hex code).
- Click the blue Save Changes button at the bottom of the page once you’re happy.
That’s it! You’re now ready to see your updated checkout page and have your customers go through a seamless checkout process.
Display the multistep checkout in a quick popup cart
As we have seen, there are lots of excellent reasons to add multistep checkout to WooCommerce. It breaks up the process into logical chunks.
However, there are disadvantages for forcing customers to visit multiple pages in order to check out. This can make your store harder to navigate, making it slower for customers to complete their purchase.
The solution is to display the Flux multi-step checkout in a popup modal window like this:
In this screenshot, you can see the Flux multistep checkout displayed using the WooCommerce Fast Cart plugin. WooCommerce Fast Cart creates true one-page shopping by opening the cart and checkout in a modal window.
Fast Cart is fully compatible with multi-step checkout because the customer is guided through each step, while remaining in the popup cart at all times. That way, customers get the benefits of multi-step checkout while remaining on the same page throughout the process.
Further reading: How to use WooCommerce Fast Cart with multi-step checkout.
Add a multistep checkout for WooCommerce today
With these steps complete, your multistep checkout is up and running.
Your customers can now purchase faster and easier without being distracted away from the task at hand. Plus, you can enjoy more sales with a checkout that’s designed to reduce checkout abandonment and increase conversions.
The faster you implement Flux Checkout for WooCommerce, the faster you’ll see the results.