Do you offer discounts in your WooCommerce store, either by running sales or discounting specific products? Discover the easy way to boost your revenue by showcasing WooCommerce on sale products more effectively.
Most store owners discount their products without thinking about the best way to present them. Don't make the same mistake! There are lots of reasons why you should take some simple steps to display and highlight your WooCommerce on sale products:
- On Sale products draw the customer’s attention to the best way they can get a great deal, making them more likely to buy from you.
- By highlighting products that are currently on sale or discounted, you can also increase your average order value.
- And if you discount products that you’re trying to clear stock of then listing On Sale products separately will also help you clear out old inventory more quickly and free up warehouse space.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to list WooCommerce On Sale products more effectively in your store. You'll learn the different ways to put products on sale in WooCommerce, and how to display them prominently in your store.
How to discount products in WooCommerce
First, you need to know how to put your products on sale in the first place. There are two ways to discount products in WooCommerce. You can:
- Global saleSet up a store-wide sale in WooCommerce where all of your products are on sale. This is particularly great for events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, as well as around the festive season like Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year. You can easily do this by installing the Discount Rules for WooCommerce plugin. Set up the plugin, add the global percentage discount, and disable it at the end of the sale.
- Individual product discountsYou can add sale prices for individual products or variations directly on the Add/Edit Product page in WooCommerce. This is perfect for increasing sales of specific products, either to draw attention to new arrivals or for a seasonal clearance sale.
Once you've set your sale prices, keep reading to learn how to draw attention to your 'On Sale' products.
Related tutorial: How to easily create storewide sales in WooCommerce.
Drawing attention to your On Sale products
If you simply add a sale price and leave it at that, then your On Sale products won't sell very well! Instead, you should draw your customers' attention to them and make them more likely to buy. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to do this. Read through each method, and mix and match them to make your sale a success:
Add badges to highlight the On Sale products
Use the Product Badges extension to add on sale badges to highlight the sale products on your shop and category pages.
The discounted products will be mixed in with your other products when you do this. Badges will make them stand out a bit, but it's also worth listing them on a separate page and on your homepage. Keep reading to learn how.
List On Sale products separately
The best way to draw attention to your discounted products is by listing them in a dedicated space on your website. There are several places where you can do this:
- Add a 'Sale' section to the homepageList On Sale products in a prominent spot on the homepage of your WordPress website. This allows them to capture your customers' attention the second they arrive on the site.
- Create a 'Special offers' pageList the On Sale products on a 'Special Offers' page or a 'Clearance Sale' page. You can then link to this page from your website’s navigation menu to encourage people to check out the WooCommerce On Sale products.
- List On Sale products above your other productsYou can list On Sale products in WooCommerce on the main shop page above your other categories and products. This immediately draws the visitor’s attention to the products on sale. And, at the same time, it encourages them to check out the products and make a purchase.
- Blog about your discounted productsAnother way to draw attention to products is by listing special offers in a blog post. This is particularly useful if you’re reviewing a specific product. Or perhaps you want to write about several different On Sale products and then list all the special deals within the post.
Use these methods to showcase your best deals. In the next section, I'll show you a simple method to list On Sale products in any (or all!) of these locations.
How to list on sale products with WooCommerce Product Table
The WooCommerce Product Table plugin makes it easy to list discounted products anywhere in your store. This includes each of the locations that I recommended in the previous section.
Step 1: Tag your On Sale products
First, you need a way to tag your On Sale products so that you can list them separately from your full price stock.
WooCommerce lets store owners highlight their most important products in the sale by marking them as Featured. Here’s how:
- Go to Products → All Products from the WordPress admin panel.
- Find the product you want to mark as Featured and click on the star in the far right column.
Pro tip: If you already use featured products for something else in your store, you should create a custom taxonomy called Sale and tag each On Sale product as Yes.
Step 2: Install and configure WooCommerce Product Table
Get the WooCommerce Product Table plugin and install it on your WordPress website. Once that’s done, activate the plugin’s license key on the settings page (WooCommerce → Settings → Products → Product tables).
From the same screen, you can choose which product details you’d like to display in the table layout. You can do this by setting the Columns option to
To show customers what a great deal they're getting, the 'Price' column will display the main price crossed out with the sale price alongside.
Check out the available column options for ideas on what’s possible with the WooCommerce Product Table plugin.
Step 3: List discounted products
There are two ways to list discounted products on your WordPress site’s front-end:
Method 1: For featured products
If you marked the WooCommerce On Sale products as Featured products then you can use the following shortcode to list them in your product table:
Method 2: If you’re using a custom taxonomy
If you decided to create a custom taxonomy called Sale, you can use the
[product_table term="sale:yes"] shortcode to list WooCommerce On Sale products in the table layout.
Step 4: Display the On Sale products on your website
All you have to do is add the shortcode to any page on your site. This depends on where you want to list the On Sale products. For example:
- Homepage - simply edit the homepage and add the shortcode.
- 'Sale' page - create a page, add it to the menu, and add the shortcode to the page.
- Shop page, above the other products - edit the 'Shop' page and add the shortcode. The default grid of all your products will automatically appear underneath the product table.
- Blog post - add or edit a blog post and add the shortcode wherever you want to list the On Sale products within the post.
Step 5: Let customers view more information about On Sale products
You might want to give customers the option to view more information about your WooCommerce On Sale products without having to visit a separate page for each product. In other words, customers can learn more about the product without leaving the On Sale products catalog. The easiest way to do this is by using the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin.
Once you have the plugin installed on your WordPress website, you can either:
- Add a
quick_viewcolumn to the product table or
- Use the options on the WooCommerce Product Table settings page to open the quick view lightbox when someone clicks on the product name or image in the product table.
Whenever a customer clicks on the Quick View button (or the product name or image) in the table, they’ll be able to view product details in a lightbox.
The product details include the product image (with zoom), gallery thumbnails, reviews, price, short description, meta information, and purchasing options. Customers can view product details and add the product to their cart. They’ll have the option to continue browsing the product catalog or go to the checkout page.
Bonus: Add a notification bar to your store
Once you've used WooCommerce Product Table to list the WooCommerce On Sale products on a dedicated Sale page, you can use the free WP Notification Bars plugin to add an eye-catching notice to the top of your online store.
Configure the notification bar to link to your Sale page. This is a great way to drive traffic to your Sale page. We use notification bars on our plugin demo pages.
List ‘on sale’ products today
By listing WooCommerce On Sale products in a neat table layout, you can enhance product visibility and make it easier for customers to buy from you. It’s a great way to boost your average order value and increase revenue.
Ready to list on sale products on your online store? Get the WooCommerce Product Table plugin today!