Looking for the best way to attract new customers and boost sales in your WooCommerce? You should consider using a WooCommerce coupon field. Let’s explore how to do this using the best plugins in the market.
As a store owner, your main priority is keeping your business profitable. There are many ways to go about this. One of the most effective strategies is to offer your store visitors coupons. This is a surefire way to boost your average order value, store traffic, and overall conversions. But what is the purpose of a coupon in WooCommerce?
WooCommerce store owners often use coupons to offer discounts to customers. A coupon in any eCommerce store is a discount code that customers can apply to reduce the price of the products they want to buy. The goal of using a coupon is to motivate a customer to buy your products and services. You could also use coupons to appreciate loyal customers or promote special sales.
In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about WooCommerce coupon fields. We’ll cover the following topics extensively:
- How to add a WooCommerce coupon field to your store’s checkout.
- The best plugins you can use to improve the coupon code field.
- How to add and customize WooCommerce coupons programmatically.
Let’s get to it!
What is a WooCommerce Coupon Field?
A WooCommerce coupon field is an input field in the checkout process of a WooCommerce-powered online store. Customers can use this field to enter a coupon code to apply a discount to their order.
WooCommerce coupons are discount codes customers can apply during the checkout process in a WooCommerce online store. These coupons may provide a percentage off the total order value. They can also be in the form of a specific amount discount, free delivery, or buy one get one free (BOGOF) offers.
Coupons encourage customers to shop more and increase revenue for the online store. The WordPress admin generates and manages the coupons. They can set conditions such as a minimum purchase value, product restrictions, and expiration dates.
Benefits of using WooCommerce coupons
Using coupons on your WooCommerce store, you get to:
- Increases sales and customer loyalty by offering discounts and promotions.
- Clear out slow-moving inventory by encouraging customers to buy clearance items.
- Provide an incentive for new customers and first-time visitors to try your store.
- Encourage repeat business by offering special deals to existing customers.
- Track the effectiveness of marketing campaigns through detailed coupon statistics.
- Offer special deals to certain groups of customers, such as premiemail subscribers.
- Promote customer retention through loyalty-building incentives and exclusive deals.
- Enhance customer engagement through targeted email campaigns and social media promotions.
- Increase customer satisfaction and perceived value through special offers and savings opportunities.
A popular example of how coupons work is the annual Black Friday sales. During these sales, various online businesses slash their prices and offer different discounts.
Sometimes, the original price is suspended and the discounted price is attached. So you don't need to enter a code. In other cases, online businesses offer their customers discount codes via mail or on their websites which they can apply during checkout. These codes are redeemable only within a particular period, after which they become invalid.
How to add a WooCommerce coupon code field to checkout
Adding a coupon code field to WooCommerce checkout is relatively easy. All you need to do to get started is enable the coupon field in WooCommerce. Probably wondering, where is the coupon section in WooCommerce?
You can find the coupon submenu in the Marketing section on your WordPress dashboard. Clicking Coupons will take you to the coupon management page. Here, you can create, edit, and manage coupon codes for your online store.
To enable coupons, go to WooCommerce → Settings → General on your WordPress dashboard.
Scroll down to the Enable Coupons section and check the Enable the use of coupon codes box to enable the coupon field. Click Save changes at the bottom left corner of the page to save your changes.
By enabling or disabling the coupon field, you can control whether customers can apply coupon codes at checkout. If the coupon field is disabled, customers cannot enter coupon codes on the cart or checkout pages, even if you have created coupon codes in your store.
How to add and manage coupons
To add coupons in WooCommerce, go to Marketing → Coupons on your WordPress dashboard. Click Add coupon to create a new WooCommerce coupon.
Fill out the coupon details, including the coupon code and description. You can also generate a unique coupon code by clicking the Generate coupon code button below the coupon code field.
Next, open the General tab under the Coupon data section. Fill in the discount type, coupon amount, and expiry date. Check the Allow free shipping box to offer free shipping.
In the Usage Restriction menu, you can set the coupon conditions, such as product categories, email restrictions, maximum and minimum spend, and more.
You should also pay attention to the Usage Limit menu. You can set the usage limit per coupon or usage limit per user here.
Save the coupon by clicking the Publish button at the top right corner of the page.
To manage existing coupons, simply go to the Coupons page in the Marketing section of the WordPress dashboard. From here, you can edit, delete, or view coupon details by clicking on the coupon code. You can also sort and filter coupons based on various criteria, such as date, usage, and status.
How do I use a coupon in checkout?
To use a coupon in a WooCommerce checkout field, add the item you want to buy to your cart.
Click the View Cart button, and it'll take you to your WooCommerce cart page.
In the cart, you'll see a field labeled Coupon code.
Enter the coupon code in the field and click the Apply Coupon button. The discount will automatically apply to your cart totals if the coupon is valid and the necessary conditions are met.
Click Proceed to Checkout. Complete the checkout process on the WooCommerce checkout page by entering the required information in the checkout fields.
If the coupon is invalid, you will see an error message explaining the reason. The message could say that the coupon has expired, reached its usage limit, or is not valid for the items in your cart. In this case, you will need to enter the correct coupon code or proceed to checkout without a coupon.
To view which customers have used coupons in your WooCommerce store, go to WooCommerce → Orders. Here, you can filter the orders to show only those with used coupons by selecting "Coupon" in the "Filter by" dropdown. Next, click on the order to view its details, including which coupon code was used.
Alternatively, you can install a plugin to get more detailed coupon usage reports. The report includes information like the number of times each coupon has been used, the total discount provided, and the customers who have used each coupon. This plugin generates a report you can view in the WordPress dashboard, making tracking and analyzing coupon usage easy.
Combining WooCommerce coupons with subscriptions
Do you want to support coupons for your subscription products? YITH WooCommerce Subscriptions integrates perfectly with WooCommerce coupons. This allows you to offer discounts on recurring payments for subscription products. When a customer applies a coupon code to a subscription product, the discount will apply to all recurring payments for the subscription duration.
You need to create a new coupon code and assign the coupon to a subscription product. When a customer adds a subscription product to their cart, they can enter a coupon code on the checkout page.
If the coupon code is valid, the discount will be automatically applied to recurring payments for the subscription duration. The discount will be applied to all future recurring payments for the subscription as long as the coupon is valid and the conditions are met.
Note that some restrictions apply when using coupons with WooCommerce Subscriptions. For example, you can apply one coupon code per subscription. You're also limited to certain types of coupons, such as Fixed cart discount coupons. It's important to carefully review the coupon conditions and restrictions before using them with subscription products.
The best plugins to improve the WooCommerce coupon code field
The inbuilt WooCommerce coupon code functionality is excellent. But you may need more to provide the best possible customer experience when redeeming coupons. In this case, we recommend using a plugin that enhances the WooCommerce coupon field. Let's take a look at the 3 best plugins you should consider.
WooCommerce Fast Cart is a feature-rich plugin that enhances customers' shopping experience and boosts conversion rates by enabling customers to swiftly add items to their cart without leaving the product page. Customers can add several products to their cart at once with the help of this plugin, which shortens the buying process.
AJAX, a solution for building swift and interactive web pages, is used to implement the fast cart feature. WooCommerce Fast Cart improves the coupon code field by allowing customers to seamlessly apply a coupon code to an order.
This can be achieved by autocompleting coupon codes, displaying coupon code suggestions based on the customer's purchase history, or providing an AJAX-powered form for applying coupons directly from the cart page without reloading the entire page.
- High coupon redemption rates You can display the checkout in a popup with the coupon code field so that customers can redeem coupons and complete their orders without leaving the page. This encourages more customers to use coupons, resulting in more sales and revenue.
- Enhanced coupon use Makes it easier for customers to quickly add items to their carts and apply a coupon code, improving the convenience of redeeming coupons.
- Enhanced customer trust Customers will be more loyal to your brand if you provide a quick and easy checkout process and give them coupon usage options. This will encourage repeat business.
- Quicker checkout Shortens the time needed to finish a transaction and enter a coupon code, giving customers a better checkout experience overall.
- Enhanced coupon tracking management Integrates with WooCommerce's built-in coupon functionality to allow store owners to manage coupons and monitor their effectiveness without stress.
Advanced Coupons is a powerful plugin that allows you to create amazing coupons on WooCommerce. The plugin provides advanced coupon features and options to the existing coupon functionality in WooCommerce, such as creating and managing custom coupon rules, offering several discount deals, and more.
With this tool, you get to create codes that automatically apply when customers add coupon-enabled items to their cart. You can also offer freebies and tiered discounts and even set up coupon codes earlier and determine when you want them to become active.
- Improved coupon analyses Gives store owners comprehensive coupon reports so they can monitor the effectiveness of their coupon promotions.
- Custom coupon rules This enables store owners to set up and manage specific coupon rules, such as 'buy one get one free,' minimum purchase amount, product restrictions, etc.
- Tiered discounts Offers tiered discounts depending on how many items are in the cart or the cart totals.
- Boost in sales and brand image Helps store owners make more sales and promises customer loyalty by offering promotions and discounts in a flexible and customizable manner.
- Increased customer engagement The plugin gives customers more room for engagement as they get the chance to spend less and save more through discounts and promotions.
- Enhanced coupon management This provides an extensive system that makes it simpler for store owners to generate and monitor how coupons are used.
YITH WooCommerce Coupon Email System is a WooCommerce plugin that lets store owners create and manage coupon campaigns straight from the WooCommerce dashboard and provides an email system for sending coupons to customers. The plugin enhances the coupon code field by allowing store owners to send coupon codes directly to their customers through email.
With the help of the plugin, store owners can send personalized coupons to a specific group of customers based on their past transactions or to all customers as a marketing campaign strategy.
The plugin also includes features like automatic coupon generation, email scheduling, and comprehensive reporting to assist store owners in monitoring the effectiveness of their coupon campaigns.
- Automatic coupon generation Generates coupons automatically and includes options for customizing the format, length, and prefix/suffix of coupon codes.
- Detailed reporting Offers in-depth analysis of coupon usage, enabling store owners to evaluate the effectiveness of their coupon campaigns.
- Email scheduling Store owners can schedule email campaigns and specify the precise time and date they want coupons to be sent.
- Intuitive interface It is simple to use and configure, making it suitable for store owners with minimal or no coding skills.
- Personalized coupon campaigns These campaigns let store owners create and send customized coupons to customers based on their shopping history or to all customers as part of a promotional campaign.
How to add and customize WooCommerce coupons programmatically
Customizing the appearance and functionality of WooCommerce coupons manually is time and energy-draining. This is where programmatic coupon creation and customization come in.
Adding and customizing WooCommerce coupons programmatically eliminates the need for manual coupon creation. This saves time and reduces the risk of errors. Programmatic WooCommerce coupon creation can also:
- Handle many coupons. This is ideal for stores with a large customer base or multiple promotions. In addition, customizing coupons programmatically saves time.
- Provide more control and flexibility over coupon design and behavior. This allows store owners to fine-tune their promotions. And meet specific goals and target specific customer segments.
- Be integrated with data from other systems, such as customer behavior data. You can use this to create targeted and personalized promotions. These types of promotions are more likely to be successful.
- Ensure consistent coupon design, messaging, and behavior across multiple promotions. Hereby, improving the customer experience and brand image.
Hiring a WooCommerce developer
To create and manage coupons programmatically, you need the services of a developer. Developers can customize the appearance and functionality of WooCommerce coupons in several ways. Let's take a look at a few possible options.
- Customizing coupon code format customization Developers can modify the coupon code format by using filters and actions in the WooCommerce codebase.
- Coupon display customization You're probably not familiar with CSS and HTML. But developers can use these languages to customize the appearance of coupon codes on your product and checkout pages. This applies to emails and other marketing materials as well.
- Adding custom fields to coupon forms WooCommerce developers can add custom fields to the coupon form in the WooCommerce dashboard. This helps you to gather additional information from customers when they redeem coupons.
- Customizing coupon restrictions Developers can also use hooks and filters in the WooCommerce codebase to set custom restrictions on coupon usage. Common restrictions include minimum order amount, excluded products, and usage limits.
- Integrating with other plugins They can integrate WooCommerce coupons with other plugins. These could be email marketing platforms or customer relationship management (CRM) tools. This way, you get to expand their functionality and improve the customer experience.
- Customizing email templates Developers can customize the email templates for coupon notifications. This includes the subject line, sender name, and body text. This helps you to ensure that they match the look and feel of your store.
You may find these tutorials/resources helpful if you're comfortable editing codes.
Start adding WooCommerce coupon fields to your checkout with the best plugins
Adding WooCommerce coupons to your online store is a reliable way to boost sales and promote customer satisfaction. In this article, we’ve explained what WooCommerce coupons and coupon fields are. We also went through why you should use them in your online store. You'll also find all the information you need to add coupon code fields to WooCommerce checkout.
Most importantly, we recommended 3 go-to plugins. They can help you improve the functionality of the built-in WooCommerce coupon code field:
- Advanced Coupons for WooCommerce
- WooCommerce Fast Cart by Barn2
- YITH WooCommerce Coupon Email System
These plugins make it easy for a store owner to create and manage coupons. They also boost user experience by allowing customers to quickly apply coupons to items and checkout.
Finally, we’ve explained how developers can customize the appearance and functionality of WooCommerce coupons programmatically. Then, we rounded off with a few resources that can help you if you're comfortable editing WordPress code.
If you have any questions, kindly leave them in the comment section.