Our colleagues at bestplugins.com have been researching the best WordPress SEO and social media plugins. They have kindly given us permission to share an infographic that they have created to show the top SEO and social media plugins.
Infographic Courtesy of Best WordPress Plugins
Summary of infographic
Best WordPress SEO plugins
- All in One SEO Pack - Optimise WordPress sites for SEO, manage canonical URLs, create XML sitemaps, Google Analytics and more
- WordPress SEO by Yoast - Add focus keywords and optimise each page for your chosen keyword. Rick Snippet view, options to edit htaccess files and your Robot file, add XML sitemaps, optimise your RSS, breadcrumbs and more
- SEO Ultimate - Create more SEO-friendly internal links by highlighting the anchor texts, improves Rich Snippet view, creates link masks to control PageRank Sculpting, manage no-follow and more
- Redirection - Manage 301 redirections and monitor error 404's. Can also be used to create 302 and 307 redirections for individual WordPress posts
- SEO Friendly Images - Automatically optimises images for SEO
- Platinum SEO Pack - Optimise your WordPress website for SEO, manage 301 redirects and permalink changes, avoid duplicate content and manage no-follow, no-index and more
- SEO Smart Links - Automatically links keywords and phrases with relevant posts, pages nad categories
- HeadSpace2 SEO - Another all-in-one WordPress SEO plugin that performans a wide range of SEO functions
- Google Sitemap - Creates a sitemap file and adds it to Google Webmaster Tools
- Squirrly SEO - Provides SEO stats for your WordPress and makes suggestions on how you can improve your content to improve your SEO. Also suggests images and more.
Top WordPress social media plugins
- AddToAny - Lets visitors share your WordPress website content on over 100 social media websites and social bookmarking sites
- AddThis - Allows users to promote your website content on more than 330 social websites
- ShareThis - Yet another social sharing WordPress plugin
- Social Media Widget - Social sharing plugin with a range of options and animation effects
- NextScripts: Social Networks Auto-Poster - Publishes your WordPress blog posts to a range of social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn
- Floating Social Media Icon - Adds floating social media icons to your WordPress website
- Social Media Feather - A lightweight WordPress plugin that adds social sharing buttons allowing visitors to quickly share the content of your WordPress website
- Digg Digg - Another plugin to add floating social media sharing buttons, as well as email and print icons
- Slick Social Share Buttons - Allows you to add floating or sliding tab social sharing buttons with a range of speed, animation effects etc
- Social Login, Social Sharing and Social Commenting - Lets your visitors log into your WordPress website using their social media profiles (see my previous article about WordPress social login plugins)
How to choose the right SEO and social media WordPress plugins
Using the right SEO and social media plugins can bring a range of benefits for your WordPress website:
- Enjoy better search engine visibility with SEO plugins, which can offer content optimisation, link optimisation and internal link housekeeping
- Add meta tags, write better descriptions, add tags for images and perform complex or simple SEO tasks using these plugins
- Add a social media element to your content with tools and widgets to facilitate quick recording of user comments, shares and likes
When designing a WordPress website, it's important to choose the best SEO and social media plugins for you. The above infographic is a great starting point for your research, but only install plugins if you have a genuine need for them. Some of the plugins listed (e.g. All In One SEO Pack and WordPress SEO) do basically the same thing, so you need to look at both and decide which one meets your requirements. Other plugins such as Redirection may be relevant depending on your circumstances, for example you this plugin is handy if you are changing your page URL's, but not relevant for a brand new website.
Only add social sharing plugins if you have the sort of content that people are likely to want to share, and always integrate them into the overall design of your website so they don't look "bolted on".
Carefully chosen WordPress SEO and social media plugins can give a real boost to your website. It's interesting to see which ones are the most popular at the moment.
Help, I'm confused!
If it's all too overwhelming then it might be worth getting someone to do your SEO for you. We offer a range of SEO services tailored specifically for WordPress websites including one-off optimisation and ongoing SEO packages.