What happens when a WooCommerce product is discontinued?
The WooCommerce Discontinued Products plugin does everything you need to make your products inactive, without mixing them up with other stock statuses:
- The product can no longer be purchased.
- The Discontinued text (which you can set on the plugin settings page) appears wherever your theme would normally display the In Stock/Out of Stock text.
- If you have enabled the image label option on the settings page, then a text label will also appear on the product image. This appears on your main shop pages as well as the product page.
- Depending on your plugin settings, the products may or may not be hidden from the rest of your shop.
- Search engines can still access the discontinued product pages, so you won't lose the SEO value of these pages. (If you want to remove them from search results, then check out our advice on how to do this.)
- The product will not be included in your reports of other stock statuses such as 'Out of stock', so it won't mess up your stock reports.
- You can view and filter by discontinued products separately in the WordPress admin.
Can I sell my remaining stock before discontinuing a product?
Yes! The plugin provides a choice of two ways to discontinue a product in WooCommerce:
- Immediately - Change the stock status to 'Discontinued', and it stops being purchasable immediately.
- When stock runs out - Alternatively, for products/variations where you are actively managing stock, you can tick a box to automatically discontinue it as soon as the stock level reaches zero. This is the best way to use up your remaining stock before removing the product from sale.
What product types are supported?
WooCommerce Discontinued Products works with any product type that can have a stock status. This includes simple products, variable products, grouped products and product types added by other plugins.
How do WooCommerce discontinued products work with variations?
You can choose whether to discontinue specific variations only, or mark all the variations for a particular product as discontinued.
Do discontinued products still appear in search engines?
Your discontinued product pages have SEO value, and it would be a shame to lose this. As a result, they will still appear in search engines - even if you have chosen to hide them from the rest of your shop.
If this isn't what you want then we have provided advice on how to remove discontinued products from search results.
Will it work with my theme & other plugins?
We have tested WooCommerce Discontinued Products with a range of free and premium themes and are confident it will look great with your theme. Our plugin support includes helping with theme-related conflicts. However, theme issues are very unlikely because the 'Discontinued' text uses the same styling as the 'out of stock' message in your theme. It doesn't add its own styling.
WooCommerce Discontinued Products is designed to work with any WordPress plugins which display stock information on your website. For example:
- Use it with WooCommerce Product Table to list products in a quick one-page order form, complete with a 'stock' column. You can also use it to list discontinued products on a dedicated page on your website.
- If you use WooCommerce Lead Time to provide clear information about when products will be available, then it works perfectly with WooCommerce Discontinued Products.
- When you use WooCommerce Bulk Variations to list product variations in a grid or price matrix, the discontinued message appears within the grid and these variations are not purchasable.
- If you use Quick View Pro to provide quick buying options for your products, the 'Discontinued' message appears in the lightbox.
What are the purchase options?
Clicking the Buy button above will take you to the purchase options. You can choose either a Lifetime or Annual software license.
- Lifetime licenses never expire. It's a one-time payment which includes all future plugin updates, new features and support, forever.
- Annual licenses are renewed once a year. As long as you have an active license, you will receive support, plugin updates and new features. If your license ever expires then you can continue using the plugin, but won't receive any further updates or support.
You can also choose the number of sites that you can use the plugin on.
Does WooCommerce Discontinued Products work in my language?
What are the minimum requirements for running the plugin?
WooCommerce Discontinued Products is fully tested with the latest versions of WordPress and WooCommerce. We always recommend running the most up-to-date version, but we also support older installations:
WooCommerce 6.5 or greater (tested to 8.3.1)
WordPress 6.0 or greater (tested to 6.4.1)
PHP 7.4 or greater (tested to 8.1.22)
MySQL 5.7.8 or greater / MariaDB 10.3 or greater